No announcement yet.

In gear idle speed drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the collar was lose, it wouldn't cause the low idle.

To re-check it isn't that difficult. The drive shaft bushing was greased with the
    correct grade grease, correct?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I don't recall a drive shaft bushing . I remember the collar and ring

Comment

Originally posted by marchmadness View Post
        I don't recall a drive shaft bushing . I remember the collar and ring
        Part #39, up in the mid-section:
        2003 LF225TURB Yamaha Outboard UPPER CASING Diagram and Parts

The drive shaft goes thru it and must be lubed with the correct grease or it'll usually squeek...

If you look at the drive shaft, while out, you'll see a machined surface probably 1/3 of the way up. The bushing rides up around that area
        Scott

Comment

That bushing remains in the mid section held in by a clip? That I remember

Comment

That bushing remains in the mid section held in by a clip? That I remember
            Correct, but the bushing SHOULD fit snug in the mid-section.

It's been posted here of the bushing wallowing out the mid-section (apparently seized, no grease/maintenance, etc).

They have been repaired with a new bushing, clean the area, JB weld, install the drive-shaft/LU (to align) and let dry over night.

That bushing is pretty light duty and from personal experience, It will squeak if the proper Yamaha grease isn't used (reg marine wheel bearing grease WON'T cut it).

Your issues are not related to this bushing, just maintenance, like greasing the drive shaft splines..
            Scott

Comment

video update

I posted a you tube video. The link is below,
              when you listen when I pull it out of gear
              next I checked my prop I had some play if I pulled it out
              most interesting was I also ran the motor tied to the dock in gear there was no loss of rpms and no noise

https://youtu.be/DGMz5XDnN2U

Comment

*W0w, that knocking is loud...

My F150 (different of course), idling on muffs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...n/photostream/

Scott

Comment

I posted a you tube video. The link is below,
                  when you listen when I pull it out of gear
                  next I checked my prop I had some play if I pulled it out
                  most interesting was I also ran the motor tied to the dock in gear there was no loss of rpms and no noise

https://youtu.be/DGMz5XDnN2U
                  Prop chatter.....If you bump the rpm up maybe 150rpm it should go away.

You can try re-seating the collar again. You have to lift up on the shaft when you are banging down on the collar. Use two people if you find it difficult.

I get a little of that noise on my F150, I normally ignore it or adjust throttle. According to Rodbolt and others, it is harmless.

But if this is new to you, I am betting collar needs to be seated again properly. Try it and let us know.

Comment

I replaced both pump at the beginning on season. The noise only started recently. I reused the plastic sleeve and and metal collar.
                    I have reused both of these with no issues.

Comment

So that just seems like prop chatter? So I guess I'll pull the boat and lower unit and reset the collar

Comment

Working...
                      X