Trailer Hub Woes- Private Msg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Hub Woes- Private Msg

Since I'm not seeking yamaha advice, for those of you who service their own boat trailers, specifically hub/bearings, please private msg me. Thanks.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Not much going on right now. Can't see how a discussion would harm anything.

If anyone disagrees, let me know.

For example, just installed a new set of Kodiac brake calipers.

Comment

Alright, but if I get the boot from the forum you know why. Here's what's going on. I ran into a trailer issue yesterday while on way from boat ramp to my storage facility. Noticed the left wheel wobbling. Luckily I was down the street from the facility, limped back.

I removed the tire, bearing cap, cotter pin, nut, washer. I could see the outer bearing was destroyed. The outer race is still implanted to hub. At this point I grabbed onto the hub to remove the assembly from axle, but it would not slide off. I cleaned out all of the bearing pieces and used some paper towels to clean all the gunk out to see if there was an obstruction. Nothing to note.

The hub will spin around the axle, as well as gimbal around the axle. Also, with a little muscle the hub will pull towards me about an inch, but that's it. The inner bearing seal is also intact with hub, which prevents me from seeing what's going on inside.

Since the inner bearing is intact I'm guessing it's this that has seized to the axle. I messed with it for a little then ran out of daylight. My next step was to get underneath the trailer with a heavy hammer and bang it off. Your thoughts, suggestions?
      Jason

Comment

Alright, but if I get the boot from the forum you know why. Here's what's going on. I ran into a trailer issue yesterday while on way from boat ramp to my storage facility. Noticed the left wheel wobbling. Luckily I was down the street from the facility, limped back.

I removed the tire, bearing cap, cotter pin, nut, washer. I could see the outer bearing was destroyed. The outer race is still implanted to hub. At this point I grabbed onto the hub to remove the assembly from axle, but it would not slide off. I cleaned out all of the bearing pieces and used some paper towels to clean all the gunk out to see if there was an obstruction. Nothing to note.

The hub will spin around the axle, as well as gimbal around the axle. Also, with a little muscle the hub will pull towards me about an inch, but that's it. The inner bearing seal is also intact with hub, which prevents me from seeing what's going on inside.

Since the inner bearing is intact I'm guessing it's this that has seized to the axle. I messed with it for a little then ran out of daylight. My next step was to get underneath the trailer with a heavy hammer and bang it off. Your thoughts, suggestions?
        Jason

Comment

Yes a big hammer and a pry bar. Try and smack it on one side while prying on the other. Picture for reference.
          Last edited by panasonic; 06-21-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

You using bearing buddies on your trailer hubs? They work good, especially on boat trailers getting dunked in the water all the time. They are inexpensive and can save you much grief...hope you get your hub off without to much trouble and that the stub axle isn't ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
              You using bearing buddies on your trailer hubs? They work good, especially on boat trailers getting dunked in the water all the time. They are inexpensive and can save you much grief...hope you get your hub off without to much trouble and that the stub axle isn't ruined.
              Bearing buddies or even better, posi-lube spindles. Grease flows from inside to out when filling to flush old grease, salt etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Bearing buddies or even better, posi-lube spindles. Grease flows from inside to out when filling to flush old grease, salt etc.
                My brother bought a new boat a few years back, used it for two summer, probably only had launched his boat 5 or 6 times with it. We where getting ready to bring boat to its summer home and I askedif he checked his bearings? No not yet he said, new trailer. I popped the caps off and the grease ran out like molasses, bearings rusty. It was completely imulsified with water. moral of the story check your bearings often and make sure the grease is fresh.

Comment

sounds like the inner bearing is stuck to the spindle and is hitting the seal as you pull on it.

I would put the wheel back on just to give you something to hold onto and add some weight to the unit.
                  then just grab hold and **** hard. seal should pop out of the hub allowing the the hub and tire to come off, leaving the bearing and seal on the spindle
                  watch your hand placement and wear gloves if close o the fender or other places to bust you hands.

all of those bearing saver things do not work if the seals go bad.
                  need to inspect and take care of the rust that creeps along the spindle and eats the seals
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 04-25-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Plus 1 ^^^ and all the above.

Get access to axle after yanking the wheel. Then you can beat out races, R&R all bearings, races and seals...

Get a set cause the other side isn't much better...

Should your spindle have gotten destroyed (not likely as you caught it soon), spindles (alone) are available at Northern Tool..

I can R&R /weld a new one in your current axle, (as long as the rest of the axle isn't rusted bad)..

Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      sounds like the inner bearing is stuck to the spindle and is hitting the seal as you pull on it.
                      ^^This has to be cause. The inner bearings inner surface is the only thing in contact with the axle surface.

Along with the suggestions posted here, I was also advised to use a scissor jack. Use trailer frame as base for jack and "lift" hub away from frame. Sounds like a nifty idea.

Now I have some good tricks to apply I'll give it a go this evening. Let you know the result. Appreciate the input.
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                        Yes a big hammer and a pry bar. Try and smack it on one side while prying on the other. Picture for reference.
                        Btw, this is an excellent overhead view of hub components. Thks!
                        Jason

Comment

Update and finale:

I used a scissor jack and the hub popped right off, leaving behind the inner bearing exposed on spindle. Torched it and then hammered it off. And that's that.

Appreciate all of the help!
                          Jason

Comment

How does the spindle look?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              How does the spindle look?
                              You tell me, my trailer spindle diagnostic experience is limited. I put red arrows pointing to coloration line made by the seized inner bearing. Strangely this surface is smooth. The surface of the spindle in between the bearings is not smooth, as you can see just by looking. I could file this area down since it does not come in contact with hub. Your thoughts?

Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X