1986 prov150j oil injection problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 prov150j oil injection problem

I have searched everywhere for this problem. My remote tank will not shut off. Keeps pumping oil to the main tank overflowing it. I have tested the sensor and checked and cleaned all wires and grounds. I have tested the control unit. The only time the remote pump shuts off is when the motor is lifted vertically. What am i missing???

how did you test the oil switch's?

Comment

Exactly How the manual says to do it. I tested twice. Could it be the control unit even though it shuts it off at vertical tilt? I would sure hate to buy a 200 dollar part and that not be it.

Comment

nice thing about that antique.
        it can be tested by simply unplugging the engine oil tank harness,
        jump the correct colors(just in case the switch has been replaced) to ground.
        with key on engine tilted down you can start ,stop and sound the alarm with a paper clip and two jumper wires.

Comment

It all tests out fine. Yes the control module shuts off the pump at 35 degrees. I will unplug the harness and test the switches one by one. Could the problem be anywhere else? Like the wiring at the gauges themselves? I understand the system is fairly simple and I keep telling myself i'm missing something so incredibly easy that its driving me nuts. If it ever quits raining this weekend I will get back at her. Thanks guys.

Comment

see item 16?
            that switch must be closed for auto transfer to occur.
            the module must "see" that switch is closed.
            can be tested at the module.
            then unplug the engine oil tank harness.
            with key on engine off and trimmed down.
            jump the brown wire to the engine block.
            this will turn the pump ON, may take a few seconds,
            once running jump the white wire to engine block, this will turn the pump off.
            jumping the red to ground should set the audible,visual and turn the pump on.

all other inputs and grounds should be checked at the module connector.

Comment

I unplugged the main tank sensor at the control module. I jumped said wires I the pic above. I turned the key on and the damn pump in the remote tank still came on. I traced the wires checking for any funny business. All seems legit.

Comment

I realy do not under stand why you do not test the way they are telling you to test the system.

Why not do it the way they are telling you and showing you?

If you cannot do it then it may be best to take it to some one that can and will test it properly

i JUST REREAD YOUR LAST POST AND SEEMS YOU MAY HAVE INSTALLED A JUMPER AND LEFT IT THERE, IS THAT WHAT YOU DID?

Dang it all. cap lock was hit and I will not retype so I was not yelling at you
                Last edited by 99yam40; 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Switch tests out like this- empty tank/brown hot,white hot. Pump on. Alarms on.
                  At half/ white hot. Pump on
                  At full/ brown hot. Pump still on.

Comment

I don't think we are speaking the same language.

Suggest the motor be taken to a Yamaha dealer mechanic.

Comment

I have tested everything that was posted. I am saying the pump runs with the key on motor down all the time. If I jump the white wire to ground, it doesn't shut the pump off. All the wires coming from the sensor are good. The grounds are good. This tells me it is not the senor itself. Right? I have checked the wires running to the pump, grounds and all. Good. Is there a way to test the control module? I don't see anything about it in the manual. Nearest yamaha mechanic to me is 100 miles. Otherwise it would already be there.

Comment

I don't recall anyone saying anything about anything being so callet "hot".

what the ell is hot supposed to mean?

the system works on ground paths THROUGH the switch TO the module.

on that system simply unplug the engine tank switch connector.

turn the key on.

use a jumper wire and paper clips as nessasary and ground the white wire to a good engine ground.
                        pump should not run.
                        next ground the brown wire after ungrounding the white.
                        pump should turn on,may take a few seconds.

unground the brown.
                        pump should stay running until you reground the white.
                        if it wont carefully test all ground connections to the module.
                        also test battery voltage on the yellow wire at key on with the module hooked up normally.

that module is voltage sensitive and if it sees low voltage had a tendancy to turn on the transfer pump and empty the remote tank.

Comment

Thanks for sticking with me. I have 12.87 volts at the plug to the module on the yellow wire. I have unplugged the tank sensor and jumped the white wire directly to ground. Even tested my jumper wire to make sure it was good. Pump in remote tank still runs.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I read this stuff for education - I have a 4 stroke so this exact situation does not apply to me - but it seems to me that if you ground a wire that is supposed to shut off the pump when properly grounded and it does not shut off the pump then you have found the problem! Or at least the area of the problem - which runs along that wire from the ground point to and including the pump module - somewhere the connection is broken, which is what rodbolt is saying. Am I wrong?

Comment

The problem appears to be not following instructions (which is common) for some reason, people ask for help, get help (for free) but continue to zig zag all over the place, rather than systematically trouble shoot as explained.

Comment

Working...
                              X