2000 Digital yamaha speed gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Digital yamaha speed gauge

Does anyone know how to bench test a Digital yamaha speed gauge to see if it works

"assuming" we are talking about a "multifunction speedometer" -

connect red and yellow to 12V power, black to ground

that should show you that the display works

and then you can try blowing into the tube.....

Comment

does this thing have the tube that runs from motor to the gauge?
      If so, power it up and put a small amount of pressure on the tube into gauge.
      I would not use compressed air.
      hand pump or mouth maybe

Comment

Originally posted by TwinTurbos
        Get a GPS unit and take advantage of billions of dollars worth of satellite technology, and have the best speedometer ever, that will be far more accurate than any water based nonsense.
        I meant to ask you before seastars, if GPS derived speed is so much more accurate then why is it not used when landing a Boeing or Airbus air liner? Or, the F22 or F35 fighter jets?

Comment

please do not respond to TT it will get out of hand again

Comment

None of those are using completely unreliable water based speedometers though, are they.

So you think that Nuclear powered aircraft carriers use water based speedometers? Or do they use GPS?

Yawn.
            They use a piece of rope with knots tied in it.

Comment

Actually they use GPS, which is checked daily against the old fashioned s_extant measuring devise, to check the veracity of the ships electronics, which though more accurate than anything ever developed is always vulnerable to anti electronic counter measures.
              None of this is even the point, if you are going to comment on a post, at least try to answer the OP question. He did not ask for your opinion.

Comment

What inspired the name TwinTurbos?

Comment

The subject was not about speedometers and types of speed per se. It was rather about bench testing a device which happened to be a speedometer.

Try and stay on subject. I imagine with your ADD that is not easy but at least try.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    please do not respond to TT it will get out of hand again

I will repeat on more time do not respond to SS / TT

Comment

I vote 99yam to be webmaster.

Comment

Why test an obsolete speedometer, that can never be more accurate than it was designed to be? The fact is that this speedometer can if chosen, be replaced with a standalone speedometer, though a combination unit with speed, trip computer, tracklog, compass and about 50 other variables can be had in place of one not accurate water based speedometer. Tell us, does the Yamaha water speedometer measure distance traveled, so that fuel usage can be calculated?

A simple yes or no will do.
                        No. That is not its purpose. But, the Yamaha fuel management meter can do that when coupled with the Yamaha speedometer.

My Furuno GPS on its own could not determine distance traveled so that fuel usage could be calculated. What is the point? I thought the subject was speedometers.

Question for you great wizard. I like to high speed ***** for wahoo. *****ing at a precise speed for proper bait presentation is critical. How can I use my GPS to get the right boat speed?

Comment

By looking at the GPS speed, and adjusting the throttle so that the desired speed is achieved.

This is obvious, and you are seeming to show that you have never used a GPS of any sort.
                          Yes, you are correct. I don't have much knowledge as to the use of a GPS receiver. That is why I am seeking information from you.

Here is my dilemma. When there is a strong ocean current, say from east to west at 5 knots or better, when I am traveling from east to west at 10 knots indicated on the GPS the bait barely wiggles in the water. Now when I am going from west to east at 10 knots indicated on the GPS the bait is wiggling much too fast in the water. What button or adjustment do I need to make on the GPS to get the bait to wiggle the same? If the bait is not wiggling just correctly I will get less bites than when it is wiggling in the water just right.

Hoping your vast knowledge can set me straight.

Comment

bigger question would be the wiggle frequency in Hz.

Comment

The GPS will give you a more accurate display of your speed than will the obsolete water based speedometer, it will do this in part because it is not effected by wind or currents. A GPS system is just an aid to the fisherman, you will still have to use your knowledge to choose the right speed for *****ing in conjunction for the species selected. The GPS will also find just that right spot where there is a canyon or ledge where fish like to hide or hunt the local bait that you are trying to emulate in *****ing

I hope that you are not claiming that a water based speedometer can adjust your bait.
                              Ok. I am now boating from a lake to a fast moving river. I am up in Alaska.

While in the lake my GPS receiver indicated that I am going 30 MPH. My Yamaha speedometer says that I am going 29 but we know that it is old and obsolete technology, so it can't be right, but it is has been in the boat since before GPS was employed.

Now here is what I don't understand. I need you to tell what is going on and what I may be doing wrong. As I get into the river heading upstream without changing the throttle position my Yamaha speedometer indicates that I am still traveling 29 MPH but the GPS is now indicating that I am moving at 0 MPH. I look over the side of the boat and the water is rushing by the boat. Seems to be rushing by at the same rate as when I was in the lake.

I am interested in knowing how fast I am going through the water. Seems that I am going fast through the water but now the GPS is not reading right. What adjustment do I need to make to the GPS to make it read right? Obviously I am rushing through the water but the GPS says that I am not. Is the water rushing by the boat, and the motor running at high power, an illusion? Should I believe the GPS and forget all of the external ques that I am getting?

Now here is something even more weird. I turn around and start going down the river. Engine speed in the same. Water rushing by is the same. Nothing has been done to the boat at all. Now the damn GPS seems to be lying as it is saying that I am doing 59 MPH. Do I need a new GPS? Is there something wrong with the one that I have?

Comment

Working...
                              X