Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 Oil pump seal replacement?

Hi There,
    I have an F100 with 460hrs on it. A short time ago I noticed an oil film on the water behind the boat while at rest. I also had signs of water in my oil (milky residue at the top of the dipstick).

I spoke to a local mechanic who suggested replacing the theromstat as it was still the original and we had been doing a lot of low speed work in cold conditions and his thoughts were that the engine was not getting hot enough and condenstaing. So I changed the thermostat as a precaution...

But, before I ran it again I also pulled the power head out and replaced the base gasket because from what I could see, there was an oil leak in this area.
    I then took it for a good hard run for about 1½ hrs, stopping occasionally to check for any signs of oil weepage inside the cowling or around the drive shaft/ oil pump area, I found none.
    I then pulled the boat out of the water and checked again at the ramp, all good.
    I then towed the boat home (with the motor propped up of course), about an hours trip, checked again, and there were signs of an oil leak in the area just forward of the oil pump.

I'm now thinking that the oil pump seals are gone as the only other seal in this area is the crankshaft seal and that looked fine when I had the powerhead out. The manual says that you must replace the oil pump as a complete unit, but at a few hundred bucks to fix something that may only require a couple of seals, I want to get a second opinion...
    Anyone out there ever pulled one apart? Or had a problem similar to this?

I should mention that I had replaced my water pump kit about 25 hours before this occoured so there is the possibility that I damaged the oil pump seals when refitting the drive shaft....

Regards,
    Kenniff.

I would replace the oil pump. If it has the newer oil pump or if it's 2003 model the oil seals are available.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X