Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Reed punched hole in lower section of casing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Reed punched hole in lower section of casing.

50 ETLK: Is there any reason I should not repair this hole in the casing?
    Thanks,
    bill (:

that's a new one. Are you thinking of JB Weld or welding up hole with aluminum rod? depending on where the hole is and the size of it. are you planning to just fix hole from the outside or disassemble the motor and seal/weld it up from the inside?

Comment

Disassemble and repair from inside out. I was thinking of Marine-Tex, JB Weld or possibly alumaloy? I am open to suggestions.

The breakout hole is less than the size of a dime and located in the lower cylinder section just aft of the joint that separates what I would call the intake manifold and the block ass'y. And in the rounded area where the crank journal rotates through.

The crank journal passes very close to the case in this area so I will have to be very careful finishing the repair area on the inside. If needed I would make a cast of the area in the cylinder above the damaged one and use it as a guide in finishing.

I was hoping someone on this forum has made or attempted this repair and I would learn from their experience????

Thanks.

Comment

you wont know the extent of the damage till you crack it open,good luck.

Comment

After you open it up, then weld it from the inside and grind/finish it for crank clearance. Maybe weld it from outside also for more strength. Should be good to go. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X