1991 115 2T Trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 115 2T Trim problem

My trim started operating very very slowly, both up and down. Once, it did not respond to any switch (control and engine), and then after 30 mins or so, it again started operating extremely slowly.
    My guess is that there is something with the motor, must have taken water in or something.
    Anyone knows whether I can remove the whole power trim block, without removing the engine from the boat ? If yes, any schematics or instructions are more than welcome !!!

Does the trim motor "sound" like it's turning the same rpm as it used to? If the trim motor is not turning the correct rpm's it WILL affect the speed at which the hydraulics operate.

When you actuate the switch and put your battery under load, what voltage do you read at the battery and the switch? In other words make sure that the motor is getting 12-13V to it to operate.

Comment

first of all how does the trim motor look is it all rusty or does it look decent. secondly try trimming it while tapping on the motor with a small hammer. tap lightly. sounds like yours is just worn out. replace it with a new one, problem solved. and yes the engine must be reomcved from the boat. then have a torch handy befor trying to disassemble the trim brackets

Comment

Originally posted by rkmartin View Post
        Does the trim motor "sound" like it's turning the same rpm as it used to? If the trim motor is not turning the correct rpm's it WILL affect the speed at which the hydraulics operate.

When you actuate the switch and put your battery under load, what voltage do you read at the battery and the switch? In other words make sure that the motor is getting 12-13V to it to operate.
        Yes, the motor sounds as it is working veeery slowly. Concerning voltage, the engines starting motor works OK so I assume the voltage is OK. I have 2 brand new batteries and a newly installed wiring loom in the boat...
        The trim motor does look a bit rusty on the outside.
        I will try the tapping with a hammer bit, and I will post again.
        Is it possible to remove and install ONLY the motor, without having to remove the whole tilt-trim assembly from the engine ?
        Thanks to both of you for the feedback

Comment

The back bolt on trim motor is hard to get to, may have to loosen one side of transom bracket and slide it over.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

After tapping it once with the hammer, it started working as new !
            Should I wait, or should I remove the motor, open it and replace anything that needs replacing?
            In such a case would you suggest complete replacement or rebuilding of the same unit ?

Comment

Check your electrical connections. At this point you have proved something is loose.

Comment

Sounds like you may have had a sticky brush which wasn,t making contact with the armature. Tapping it with a hammer has freed it up for the moment but only time will tell before it plays up again. Some fine sand paper on the brushes and brush holders until they move freely should fix your problem.

Comment

Working...
                X