How to fit water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fit water pump

I have a 2004 yamaha 40 hp 3cyl outboard and want to fit a water pump kit. I,m sure the jobs easy enough and being a car mechanic i am confident that it couldn,t be too difficult. But it,s always handy to have some sort of proceedure to follow or even just an exploded view. Is there a web site out there to get this info? I,m just wondering when it comes to reassembly are bolt torque settings all that critical? do you use loctite? and are any sealants used on the mating surfaces?
    Any feed back would be great.

I just did the same job on my 02 Yamaha 90. It wasn't too bad. The parts look up diagrams on this website is a pretty decent resource if you don't have a service manual.

Here is a link / Yamaha Outboard Parts 2004 40TLRC

Select Lower Casing Drive 1

Comment

Water pump fitment

Thanks for the link. pretty good detail. How did you go with reassembly did you torque up the bolts or just tighten them up till it felt right? Did you use any sealants or loctite?

Comment

Did not use a torque wrench…just tighten things up till it felt right. The water pump housing on my 90 is plastic, but the new bolts that came in the kit had a tab under them for extra surface area to secure it down. I paid particular attention to how the bolts “felt” when I removed them. Used only the gaskets that came in the kit NO Loctite or sealant. Didn’t notice any on the parts upon removal.

Comment

waterpump fitment

Thanks mate, will see how i go. Appreciate the feed back.

Comment

Working...
          X