115 yamaha outboard need to push the choke to run on all 4 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 yamaha outboard need to push the choke to run on all 4 cylinders

I have a 1988 115 Yamaha Outboard. The compression is good and the carbs have been cleaned. I start it up and it sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders. When you push the choke in the other 2 cylinders kick in. I have tried another cdi box no luck. It sounds like it is the 2 top cylinders any one have the same problem let me know please and thank you.

The carbs still have plugged passages, carbs need to be soaked and throughly cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

will clean the carbs again and let you know of the outcome. It will be a while since I broke my wrist. Thanks though

Comment

Idle jets clogged...

While you are cleaning the carbs pay particular attention to the small brass screws on the outboard side of each carb bowl. The small ones are the idle jets, the larger ones are the main jets. I would bet that your idle jets are clogged up. Take them out, look at them very closely. There are tiny holes in the sides of the screws that get clogged with old gas debris and trash. You need to run a small piece of stainless wire (like fishing leader...) through these holes and spray carb cleaner through every passage to make sure they are unblocked and clear of any debris. This is a very common problem with any of the old carbed Yamahas that are allowed to sit for more than a few weeks without being run. Always use a fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank as well. But the best prevention is to run the motor every week or so.

- Mike

Comment

Working...
        X