Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Yamaha F75TLR Four Stroke VS a 1985 Yamaha 90 hp 2 Stroke

Hello

I am having to replace my 1985 Yamaha 90 2 stroke as it has made its last trip on the river. I am looking at a 2004 Yamaha F75TLR Four Stroke. It will be mounted on my 1985 Skipper Craft 24SC with "Fiberglass Pontoons"
    With the old 90hp I was getting about 23 mph at 5000 rpm. The boat weighs about 2000 lbs. I have been told the Yamaha F75TLR Four Stroke will perform better than the old engine, the dealer I am purchasing the engine from is going to help me with propping the boat correctly with a prop exchange until we get it set up right. I am just wondering if anybody has made a switch like this. any input or comments are welcomed. Also if any body has any Knowledge \ History on the Yamaha F75TLR Four Stroke that would be appreciated

Thanks in advance Tim
    Attached Files

that's a pretty big boat..maybe you should go with a bit more HP than the 90HP you're replacing, especially if you carry a lot of people/baggage and if speed is of any importance. did your old 90HP get sick or die or what? reason I ask is that I run a 1999 Yamaha 90C and it runs just like new, never any problems at all...better knock on wood! good luck!

Comment

Thanks
      The old 90 just locked up at high speed, it did start again and I made it back in. After tearing the engine down it has spun the crank and the cylinder walls are scared as well as the pistons. I guess the precision blend oiling system is at fault. I never got any alarms it just shut off and I knew it was bad!

A new power head is $2000+some other parts it needs. I can pick up the F75 TLR for $3300 just doesn't seem right to put over $2000 into a 24 year old engine.

I am not interested in speed so much as just having a reliable quite engine. I have been told that the four stroke has more lower end power as well as midrange power than the 2 strokes. and is a 15 hp loss going from the 90 to the F75 really going to be noticed I guess I will find out.

Thanks Tim

Comment

Update

Well here is the update with the F75 on my boat. I am running a 13.5 x 14 K prop and turning 5400 rpm with current prop I am going to try another prop to try and get the rpm up but for now this is the data I have . With a full load, all safety gear 2 battery's 15 gallons of fuel and 2 adults and 2 kids and all the stuff you have to take with you when the wife and kids go I am getting 20 mph on the GPS. I lost 3 mph switching from the 90 two stroke to the f 75 four stroke. I made a run of about 30 miles and burned 11 Gallons of fuel so in all I am pretty happy with the F75 it will put the boat up on plane with no problem and it sure is a nice addition on the boat now we can talk and listen to the radio while running full speed .

Tim
        Last edited by Timmstng67; 07-06-2009, 10:45 AM. Reason: Did not put in title

Comment

Working...
        X