88 70 hp tilt/trim stuck down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 70 hp tilt/trim stuck down

I went to go fishing today and the motor will not tilt up. It is about 90% in the down position. drives both up and down are working but nothing happens. I assume I have some kind of air bubble or low fluid but it seems the motor needs to be up to bleed and it sure needs to be up to travel.

Motor model is 70ETLG. How do I get it up so I can take it to the shop? Or can I bleed it and fill it myself ?

Thanks Yukon

Yukon,
    If the trim/tilt was working recently and just now has stopped working and you don't see any evidence of leaking fluid around the pump housing, then your problem probably isn't low fluid. Sounds, like the pump itself.
    There should be a bypass valve on the side of the pump housing that is accessible thru a small round hole in the motor bracket. On my C115 it is on the port side. Take a slotted screwdriver and turn the screw head ccw all the way till it stops. Don't force it. You can then pick up the motor manually by grabbing the lower unit and pulling up steadily (assuming your back is in shape). Once your have it tilted all the way up, you can then push down the tilt stop lever and rest the weight of the motor on it. Also, at this point, turn the bypass screw fully cw. You can now remove the filler cap on the pump and check the fluid level - fill up if needed and test the pump. If the motor will go up all the way, release the tilt lock lever and try trimming down.
    If you want to work on the pump yourself, I would recommend buying a Yamaha shop manual.
    Good luck,
    Ken K
    Beaumont, TX

Comment

What great info I will get to it this afternoon. I ordered a manual but it is three days out. You made an old fisherman happy. rhanks

Comment

Working...
      X