Yamaha 40HP remote conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 40HP remote conversion

I have a Yamaha 40hp tiller control 40MLHW model, manual start and the 703 remote gear cable is too long by 1 inch.

I need a cable that is 14ft 10-11 inches long to work right
    (when in neutral and attached the gear shift is pushed halfway into reverse)

*The actual length of the cable is 15 ft.*

Question:What is the simplest and cheapest solution to my problem?

**The throttle and steering control cables are fine**

703 w/replacement 14ft 11inch gear cable
    0%
    701 remote controls w/both throttle,gear cables 14,11inches
    0%

The poll is expired.

Sounds like cable is not installed correctly, check cable connection at control box and make it's locked into holder and cable end is threaded on cable about 8-10mm. Check cable at engine to see if cable is peoperly in place in holder and adjust cable end to fit shifter in neutral position.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Sounds like cable is not installed correctly, check cable connection at control box and make it's locked into holder and cable end is threaded on cable about 8-10mm. Check cable at engine to see if cable is peoperly in place in holder and adjust cable end to fit shifter in neutral position.
      The cable in the box is connected and threaded all the way down,there is no extra threads in the cable at all left on both ends to adjust....yet the cable is still 1 inch too long........is there a place on the motor itself to adjust the gear shifter so it will not go into reverse when attached at this length?

Comment

If the shift shaft coupler nut(connects upper shaft to lower shift shaft in gearcase) may be installed wrong. Has the lower unit been removed?
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Lower unit

far as I know the lower unit has not been replaced or removed.The question is: Does it matter how long the remote cables are to work on any Yamaha outboard?

Comment

No the overall length of cable doesn't matter as long as it is adjusted properly.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X