carb breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb breakdown

Ok, I got the message. I have to tear down and clean the carb on my 70 Yamaha outboard. Can I do this myself, or do I need to take in to the shop?

skeeter,
    Go back thru the posts and find the one where "Hamfisted" describes cleaning the jets on the carbs. He is very knowledgeable, and I think I would try this before I did a full carb overhaul.
    I would also try running some Seafoam thru the fuel system - you might get lucky and get out easy.
    Good luck,
    Ken K
    Beaumont, TX

Comment

just tear them down as far as possible, soak them overnight in carb solution, replace the corroded aluminum and rubber washers, spray cleaner thru all openings and reassemble. It may take a couple times.

Comment

Skeeter, what's it doing? Most Yamaha carb problems can be traced directly to the idle jet and main jet and their associated passages being clogged with old gas debris. I would stop by Walmart and pickup a couple of spray cans of Berryman's Chemtool spray then pull the jets out and clean and inspect them. Spray up into the passages and flush out any old gunk thats up there. Make sure the orifices in the jets are clear and the O-ring seals on the main jets are not cracked, torn or deteriorated. If you don't have one already go to www.Yamahapubs.com and order a service manual for your motor, it'll have all the specs in it.

Mike........ Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
        X