Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repower '93 200 to '99 250 ox66..Cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower '93 200 to '99 250 ox66..Cables?

About to repower my boat with a newer Yamaha engine. I've been told the electrical and control cables from my 93 200 hp will hook up to the newer 99 250 ox66 with no modification required. Is this true?

Yes thats true, if it has digital gauges the wiring may have different connector at engine(wiring changed in 1994).
    Last edited by boats.net; 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Re: repower

Thanks for the reply. I do have digital gauges. Does this mean that I'll need an adapter and is that certain based on the model years? I've heard that the later engines use a "square" connector at the engine and earlier a "round" connector. IS THIS A FACT AND DOES IT APPLY TO THESE MODEL YEARS? I haven't seen the 99 model engine yet but can check the 93 model to see if it's round or square. If I'm going to need it I want to get it on the way here so as to not have delay.

Comment

Yes the 99 will have square connectors and would need adapters
        6R3-ADPKT-94-93 94 Engine to 93 Harness
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Re: repower

I guess I'm not making myself clear. Does the 93 have round or square cable connector? I read elsewhere from people who have repowered that their cables matched...see below.
          "1991 225 repowered to 2001 250 ox66, with same wiring and controls just done about 2 weeks ago on my intrepid. plugged right in".

Needless to say I'm confused.

Also, is that part number for both the engine and the oil/instrument harnesses? I believe there are two if I'm correct.
          Last edited by steamin53; 04-22-2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

More on repower harness adapters

This question is hoping for clarification regarding the part identified by boats.net replay. The online instant message guys referred me back to the forum for an answer.

I'm repowering from a 93 Yamaha 200 to a 99 Yamaha ox66 250. I understand I will need one or more harness adapters. Part number 6R3-ADPKT-94-93 has been identified. It's not clear to me if this is a kit that includes all adapters or just the main engine harness adapter.

Also, I read that the trim indicator will not function on the digital gauge after the repower. Is there a way around that?

The gauge will need replacement soon as the display has faded out. When replacing it, after the repower will I need the original gauge type or some other later design. If the later design is used will it have functional trim indicator display?

Comment

as far as I know the main 10 pins are the same, you will need the adapters for oil and tach.

i still find it amusing how the guy on hulltruth said he just did it without adapters.

Comment

another repower

I just bought a 2002 OX66 250 to replace my 1996 V-X 76 250. I've eyeballed the connectors and they all look the same. The newer guages are tach and fuel management, the old guages are tach and speed. are they compatable, or interchangable with the same cabling? Any help you may have would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X