Repower....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower....

My 1988 150 hp yamaha outboard lost a cylinder so I bought another motor which is a 1990 200 hp yamaha.i have mounted the motor on the boat and hooked up the harness'es and steering arm.I have hooked up the 12 volt lead to the starter relay but it wont start.This 200 has a 30 amp fuse right next to a 20 amp fuse that my 150 didnt have on it.It is a plug type fuse holder but there isnt any wires connected on the 30 amp side.Just the holder.The engine wont crank nor will the tilt work.I can get it to crank if i touch the lead from the starter to the main power lead on the start relay.What does the 30 amp fuse do and where does it connect? Any help is appreciated.

Don't remember, it had a red wire connected to it from engine harness.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Does anyone have a 1990 200hp motor that they can take a look at and tell me where the 30amp fuse connects up? I'll try and take a picture tomorrow of what I have so you can have a better idea of what Im talking about.

Comment

power cable

the old style powercables had a positve lead for the 30 amp buse fuse to come off of too power up the trim and start selinoid nowadays we just come off were the hot goes to selinoid

Comment

Ok,I now have pics to show what i mean.One shows the starter relay(?).The wire I have the arrow to shows that I can move this wire down to the power lead on the relay and she will crank.The yellow arrow shows the fused wire.
          The next picture shows the 20 amp fused connector and the 30 amp fused connector where there is no wire on the other endThe 30 amp is what I dont know how to hook up.It looks like on the schematic it controls the tilt and starter but I'm not sure.Hope this helps you guys help me.
          Attached Files

Comment

According to the wire diagram, one fuse connects to positive side of starter relay(number 2 in diagram) and second fuse is spliced into red wire after first fuse.
            200TLRDFuse.JPG
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by averagejoe
              Hi,I saw in your thread that you have a 200 hp 1993 engine that you are repowering.I cant help but I was wondering if you can help me.I have a 1991 Yamaha 200 hp Im trying to install on my boat and I am having problems with the wiring.Can you go to my thread and try to help me with where the fused 30 amp wire connects to on your old 200hp at the start relay in the pics i have there.Thanks.http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...er-th9979.html
              Ok, I'm gonna try to include a pic of my engine on both sides. I may have to put them in subsequent replies.

1. First the 30 amp.

The schematic I have for the 200 HP, L200, and ProV200 models shows that the 30 amp fuse is connected from the battery +12VDC through a diode to the alternator. That is the side of the solenoid to which the cable that is direct from the battery +12VDC. I believe it to be the charge back circuit to the battery. The fuze portion may actually originate at that point on the starter solenoid which appears in the schematic to have a constant 12 volts applied. In all as I read it there could be 2 small wires and one large cable from the battery connected there.

Also connect at that point OR AS A BRANCH OFF ONE OF THE WIRES MENTIONED ABOVE is another wire that goes to the trim solenoid (also red). It sounds like you might be missing a pigtail that goes from the fuse into an inline diode and then to the starter solenoid and then on to the +12VDC of the battery via the battery cable. ...the wire from the starter solenoid to the trim solenoid appears to not have a separate fuse but is connect from the starter solenoid hot side to the trim solenoid providing constant power to it. Apparently the trim solenoid is activated by applying ground through the trim switch on the throttle at the remote control. I'm not sure. I believe these items are all on the port side of the engine as shown in my pic.

Now that said, the schematic also shows another 30 amp fuse that goes from the alternator to the positive side of an aux or accessory battery if one is used apparently as a charge back circuit. Be certain that's not the one you're looking at. Both of the 30 amp fuse circuits will be red wires. This aux circuit is on the starboard side and probably doesn't have a fuse in it unless previously used. If you don't need it you MIGHT be able to steal the pigtail if you need to and use it where the other is missing...but you'll need to have the diode too (it may be there and you may not know it).

2. Now the 20 amp. The 20 amp fuse circuit originates from the 30 amp circuit as a branch of the off the same wire "downstream" from the 30 amp fuse. It serves to provide 12 volt power to the remote control box.

I've tried to represent a crude schematic in an attchment. My original schematic attempt did not turn out so I've deleted it.

If your starter solenoid energizes but the starter doesn't turn with the key the problem is likely that that circuit is not made since you have nothing connecting the 30 amp fuze to +12VDC thus no power is applied to the 20 amp fuze and therefore nothing is applied to the control box. Same same for the trim relay.

I hope this helps.

WARNING... You have not told me your motor model. I'm not a marine mechanic I'm just a retired Radar and Missile Maintenance Chief. AND I'm using a famously bad Clymer manual and it's generic model type schematic.

Steve
              Attached Files
              Last edited by steamin53; 05-07-2009, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Pics port and starboard sides

First pic is port side. Second is starboard.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X