Not Going All The Way Into Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Going All The Way Into Gear

Just replaced the water pump 2 weeks ago ever since i put the lower unit back on the motor doesnt go all the way into gear sometimes. and sometimes it does.i already tried adjusting the shift linkage up top for about an hour. and the motor makes a loud clonking noise , you can hear its the gears in the lower unit. Is there any other adjustments i can make , or could the linkage be bad???

Hi

Is your shift shaft splined at the end where it hooks to the lower unit ? I had the same problem with my 1985 90hp ,I was careful not to move the splined shaft in my lower unit but it some how it got turned a little bit when replacing the water pump , I dropped the lower unit and adjusted the little shaft coming out of the lower unit to till I found it to be in full forward gear and then reassembled lower unit . You should be able to spin the prop and confirm that it is in forward or reveres depending on which way the shift shaft is turned, and by having it in gear when you reassemble it will help you line up the splines on the drive shaft to the ones in the power head by turning the prop slightly. If you have this style of shift shaft it could be out of adjustment by only a tooth or so on lower unit . Don't know if this will help but just a little of hand on knowledge I learned .

Tim

Comment

i already did that , thats why i was adjusting the linkage , do you think the bushings in the linkage could be worn out??????

Comment

I have read other posts where the shift shaft on the earlier model Yamaha outboards were made out of steel and were rusting in half in between the power head and the lower unit this would cause the shift shaft to flex and not go all the way into gear , What Year / Hp is your Outboard ? The only way I figure to see this is to drop the lower unit and inspect the shaft with a flashlight.

Tim

Comment

Try this link, if it dosent work copy and paste into google
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1737556
          Tim

Comment

Working...
          X