Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 225 SWSII Overheat alarm / flushing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 225 SWSII Overheat alarm / flushing question.

Is there a good way to flush the water passages in the engine?

I had an overheat problem this past weekend.
    After running for over an hour at 4200 rpm with 8 people and full fuel, the starboard overheat alarm and visual indicator came on. I shutdown for ten minutes and re-started, alarm was off and noticing the pee stream was not as strong as the port engine. After running another few minutes, the alarm came on again. I shut down and limped on the port.

I did drive through three feet of water so initially thought the poppet (prv) valve may have clogged up. I did not feel any characteristics of going through debris.

The water pump(not housing) was changed < 10 hours ago. Checked the prv and it looked clean. Took out the t-stats and replaced, they were probably 2-3 seasons old and crudded up a bit. When looking down the t-stat chamber, it seemed like there was a tiny piece of rubber in there, about 1/8 inch big. I tried to grab it, but it went down out of sight and reach. I was really sure what it was.

I then wanted to flush out any debris in the engine. I started the engine for five seconds with the prv housing off to flush that area out. reconnected prv and then started the engine for another 5 seconds with the t-stats out and covers off to flush out any debris in those chambers.

After buttoning everything up everything seems to be running fine. I drove the boat home at 4500 rpm for 1.5 hours. Pee stream looked a lot better.

My questions: I want to make sure all debris is out of the engine. Is there a better way to flush out those passages?
    Would a stuck t-stat cause a weak pee stream?

The motors are used in the brackish Chesapeake Bay waters.

That is the only way to flush that motor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X