yamaha gauge help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha gauge help

I HAVE A 1999 OX66 2 STROKE. I HAVE A 6Y5-8350T -90 TACH. I HAVE 1 PLUG LEADING FROM THE GAUGE FOR THE TRIM TILT,OIL TANK CAPACITY AND TEMP STATUS. I HAVE 1 HARNESS WITH A SINGLE 4 WIRE PLUG ON EACH END GOING FROM GAUGE TO ENGINE.THIS HARNESS WAS ORDERED WITH THE TACH. I NEVER HAD THE ORIGINAL HARNESS FOR THIS ENGINE .THE ORIGINAL HARNESS IS 68F-82553-XX-00 WHERE XX IS THE LENGTH.I BOUGHT THE ADAPTER 6Y5-85335-10-00 WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE A 1999 MODEL WORK WITH A -90 TACH.I PLUGGED THE ADAPTER IN AT THE ENGINE WHERE THE 2 PLUGS ARE LOCATED.ALL THAT WORKS IS THE OIL LEVEL INDICATORS,TRIM/TILT AND TEMP DO NOT WORK.I TALKED TO YAMAHA TECH SERVICES ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND WAS INFORMED THAT THE ADAPTER MUST BE PLUGGED IN AT THE CONSOLE UNDER THE GAUGE.THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED THE ORIGINAL HARNESS WITH 2 PLUGS ON EACH END FOR THIS TO WORK.WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IF THE ADAPTER PLUGS IN AT THE ENGINE OR UNDER THE TACH. ISN'T THE ORIGINAL HARNESS JUST AN EXACT EXTENSION OF THE 2 PLUGS AT THE ENGINE,PIN FOR PIN OR DO I NEED THE ORIGINAL HARNESS TO MAKE THIS WORK?IS THERE SOME KIND OF ELECTRICAL CROSSOVER OF PINS IN THE ORIGINAL HARNESS WHEN IT FINALLY GETS TO THE TACH OR IS IT PIN FOR PIN?

We made it work on a 2 stroke by connecting the adapter harness to engine. Connect the black wire on adapter harness to engine ground, disconnect gray wire in middle of adapter harness. Connect single connector trim/oil harness between adapter and gauge.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

yamaha gauge help

i tried grounding the black and disconnecting the gray. all that happened was that the flashing temp icon disappeared(thats the gray wire disconnected).nothing on the trim gauge. any other suggestions?

Comment

Check the dip switch in back of gauge to see if set for 3 wire trim sender(first switch in down position).
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yamaha Gauge Help

Yes,all 3 Dip Switches Are Set In Down Position

Comment

Test the trim sender to make sure it's ok.
            582-873 ohm's between pink and black wire
            800-1200 ohm's between orange and black wire
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X