motor cannot take a load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor cannot take a load

I have a yamaha 150 etlk outboard motor. Last year this boat ran great and we went to take it out this year and stopped and filled up with fresh gas and went to the lake to find out the boat will not go over 2000 rpms. No power to plain out on the water and no power to even push itself on the trailer. We take it home and hook it up to the water hose and I can give it full throttle all day long with no problems.

I have taken the carbs off and cleaned them spotless. When I leave in the yard to idle for a while I have some exhaust smoke and my grass is black where the prop is. I think the motor is running too rich since my plugs are black and usually wet with oil. How do you lean it up and what are the factory specs for the adjustment.

Also why won't the motor run in the lake with a load on it??

see if feathering the choke helps it run...if so you need to clean the carbs a lil more spotlesser.

Comment

man I cannot see cleaning the carbs anymore then what I have. Every time somebody tells me to check the carbs I take them off and do it again. I have taken the carbs off 4 times now and cleaned them over and over again. If I would have gotten bad gas would it cause this problem.

Also why is my grass black where the prop is??? Seems like its running way rich.

Comment

If you have unburnt gas coming out of prop then check fuel pumps may have ruptured diaphrams.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

is that what the black soot is all over my grass beneath the prop unburnt gas??? Would ruptured diaphrams cause all my problems stated above?

Comment

I'm having the same trouble with my 150. I've cleaned the carbs, new fuel pumps, tried choking and it I did get it up to 3800 I changed the plugs. I dont know what else to do. Can somebody please help. thanks

Comment

fearless...what gauges do you have? does your buzzer work? if it is stopping at 2k you may be stuck in rpm reduc.

if you pull lp pump bolts, leave hoses intact, pump ball and see if fuel comes out of rear of the lp pumps...if SO theyre bad.

2k is the limit for rpm reduc but running well on hose and not in water is a load issue that would most likely be carbs.
              Last edited by jb123; 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X