New Tach Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tach Problems

I just installed a new Tach p/n 6Y5-8350T-82 the RPM is working fine but the trim indicator is flashing along with some other symbols (see picture).The switches on the back are set rightNext ?, can someone tell me what all the symbols are, there was no manual in the box...............[COLOR="Red"]This is a great Fourm!!..Thanks for all the help you guys give..
    Attached Files

It's not geeting a signal from trim sender on engine, bad trim sender or wiring. Check the four prong connectors are plugged in on gauge and on engine.
    The three bars on bottom of gauge are oil level indicators for oil injection tank, full, need to add oil and low oil level. The overheat indicator is on bottom left side of gauge. The large numbers are rpm readings and the smaller number in center of gauge is engine operating hours.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Where is the trim sender locacted at on the motor? and what color wire for sender so i can ohm it out to see if it bad (it's a new harness). Is their some way to check the switch on the sender ? (it's a brand new motor)...........

Thanks

Comment

The trim sender is on the transom bracket on motor, the newer motor also have black plastic trim cam around the tilt tube that activates trim sender and the cam will break. The wire colors will probably be pink and black but some models are different.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I installed this instrument on a 2-stroke 40hp I had 4 years ago. I don't have it anymore, so I can't verify my vague recollection, but:

I remember getting annoyed at the fact that if I turned a harness the wrong way round (i.e. instrument end towards the engine and vice versa) then it was possible to connect the whole thing completely wrong. Yes, you can only connect it "correctly" because the trim and oil sensor bundles are keyed by using different genders, but if you turn the harness the wrong way round, then it all goes wrong. Check this possibility. When I finally hooked up everything, most of the cable colours matched all the way through (from the instrument, through the first connector, into the harness, out of the harness at the back, through the rear connector, and onto the engine). When it was finally all connected, only one or two single wires didn't colour match through the connectors, all the others did.

The enclosed pic shows how my Tacho starts up (set to 4-stroke mode). The "something flashing here" on your instrument will be the engine symbol you can see here, indicating "something" wrong with your engine, in this case hopefully just the wiring being all wrong.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Rkov; 05-05-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Tach

Thanks for the info. but the harnness is marked engine/tach, i think they sent the wrong harnness, the tach has two connectors and the harnness has one, i hope it's that simple........

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X