Yamaha Tach Question - 6Y5-8350T-82-00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Tach Question - 6Y5-8350T-82-00

Does anyone know the wire colors for this tach? I have a 1993 Yamaha 200 that has the 3-wire trim harness with the orange wire. No luck getting the trim indicator to work (it shows one bar all the time). Everything else seems to work fine. Ideally I would love to get the wire diagram for this engine and the new tach to compare and see what I am missing. I am mainly interested in doing this without purchasing adapter cables from Yamaha.

Thanks in advance.

To put the 6Y5-8350T-82-00 tach on a 1993 motor you need to change trim/oil wire harness(68F-82553-70-00) which will also need 6R3-ADPKT-93-94. Set the dip switch in tach for 3 wire trim sender.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I posted this reply on another thread, but due to the title of the thread, I doubt anyone would find it in a search, so I'm reposting under this thread which is appropriately titled:

I just got the same multifunction tach as a replacement for the one that came with my 1999 Yamaha 90HP. If this tach is to replace your existing tach, then keep reading my post.

The new tach has two fewer wires than the old one. The missing wires are an orange and a black w/white stripe. These wires come from the trim sender.

First off, you'll need to set the three dip switches (by removing the rubber plug on the back side of the gauge) all to the down position.

Second, you'll either need to upgrade your wiring harness by buying the parts here at boats.net, or you can follow these instructions below:

*** Please note that this worked for me, but please perform this at your own risk. I am not recommending that anyone else follow these instructions. I'm simply posting what I did *****

Cut the 4 wire female terminal block off the old tach. Make sure to leave at least an inch of wire exposed. Plug this female terminal block into the male block that comes attached to the new tach.

The new tach will have four single wires with connectors on them, plus the 4 wire terminal block which now has a female block with the 4 short leads coming off of it. Connect the four individual wires (yellow, green, black, and blue) into the same places as the ones from your old tach.

The 2 square terminal blocks under your dash that connected to your old tach will need to be cut off. This will create a total of 6 loose wires (green w/red stripe, green w/black stripe, orange, black w/white stripe, pink, and gray).

Connect the green w/red stripe, green w/black stripe, and pink wires to their correlating wires on the new tach. Disregard the color of short wire pieces coming from the terminal block, and concentrate on the wire colors from the tach itself. I used the water proof butt connectors that have heat shrink tubing built into them.

This will leave 3 wires left: gray, orange, black w/white stripe

Connect the orange AND gray wires (from under the dash) both to the Gray wire on the tach.

Connect the black w/white stripe directly to a ground terminal on your fuse block.

That's it!

This worked for me, and I hope the information is valuable to you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I tried as you suggested, but no luck . I think it has to do with the harness on a 1993 engine. The 1994-2004 had a different harness which apparently works with your trick. Oh well, if someone has a 1993 Yamaha 200hp please chime in. I can't believe this cannot be spliced without purchasing a new harness. Every function works fine on my new tach and speedo except for the trim indicator. I tested the oil alarm, voltage indicator, tach reading, fuel gauge, etc... and they all seem to work fine. The extra orange wire on the engine harness seems to be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bradE View Post
          Thanks for the advice!

I tried as you suggested, but no luck . I think it has to do with the harness on a 1993 engine. The 1994-2004 had a different harness which apparently works with your trick. Oh well, if someone has a 1993 Yamaha 200hp please chime in. I can't believe this cannot be spliced without purchasing a new harness. Every function works fine on my new tach and speedo except for the trim indicator. I tested the oil alarm, voltage indicator, tach reading, fuel gauge, etc... and they all seem to work fine. The extra orange wire on the engine harness seems to be the problem.
          Were the wire colors the same as I mentioned? If the only difference is that the black w/white stripe and orange wires are missing from the tach, then you just need to splice the orange with the gray and ground the black w/white stripe.

The wiring diagram I have for my motor shows the trim sensor as a rheostat with the black and orange wires at each end, and the pink wire in the middle. You energize the rheostat with the black and orange, and the pink will read different voltages based on the position of the sensor arm. Your gauge reads this voltage and displays it in a series of bars.

If your wires are different colors, then let me know. I'm sure there is a wiring diagram online somewhere, and I can trace it out for you.

Comment

Ok, here are the wire colors on my tach:

Pink, gray, green/white, and green/red with a plug.

Black, yellow, green, and blue all have bullet connectors (all plugged into matching wires).

I cut off the plug (square plug as opposed to my round plugs on engine harnesses) and gray and pink tie into the trim harness. I have the green/white connected to green, and green/red to green/red. This leaves me with the orange as a leftover. When I put the orange and gray together connected to the gray on the gauge harness, the trim indicator displays all bars.

I have searched everywhere for the wiring guide for the gauges and the harness wire colors for the engine with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

I have the green/white connected to green, and green/red to green/red.
              These wires are for your oil level, which should now be working.

When I put the orange and gray together connected to the gray on the gauge harness, the trim indicator displays all bars.
              Please make sure that you have also grounded the black w/white stripe wire, and set the dip switches inside the tach all to the down position.

I'm sorry for not replying earlier, but I've been away on a conference. Please let me know if you've done the above.

Comment

Working...
              X