Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 80 overheat at 4000rpm

Yam 80 (1984)

Starts and runs great until i try to go 4000 and above, then overheat warning comes on and rev limiter cuts in, leave to idle for a minute then all is fine until 4000 again.

has had a new block and gasket/impeller and sleeve and gasket/temp sensor,timing has been set top and bottom end.

I removed the stat on the last run to see if that was at fault but still the same.

That is normally a water pump problem, you recheck water pump housing and impeller.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Have removed pump and upper/ lower housing all is fine, no sign of a blockage in the system either.

Comment

My next thought would be the water tube grommets in water pump housing and at top of water tube at base of engine, may be restricting water flow.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Being that it runs fine with good flow until i hit 4000, could possibly be a slight resriction.

The poewhead was replaced and was warned to get a good clean mating between the two surfaces and not to use gasket seal, so i used a flat metal with 400 wet&dry.

Is it possible that if this has not sealed perfect it could give me this fault?

Comment

One other thing!

Looking at the chances of it being over proped.

Got boat and engine second hand so no idea if its the correct prop, its a quicksilver 48 16988 A5 18P, pitch must be the 18 bit but not sure on diamiter?

If it is very over proped i guess this could cause an over heat also?

Comment

you SHOULD change out pump assembly yearly, along with stats.
              prop depends on your max rpms.

Comment

Worked out the prop size its a 13x18.

How do i get to the top of the water tube?

Comment

Working...
                X