Cannot Turn Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Turn Motor

I just signed up as a new user today, so bear with me on getting my message out correctly.

I have a 17' center console Boston Whaler 2001 with a Yamaha 90Z engine. Last year I noticed the steering was very difficult and today I could not turn the engine at all.

Any quick tips or references to view.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hi, I will assume that you have push-pull steering, with a steering cable that resembles a old type choke or throttle control, only alot heaver, not hydralic steering. First you have to remove the cable from the tilt tube of the motor. If you are successful,without runing it, try to clean all the caked up grease and dirt, and free up the end of the cable. do not put too much prssure on the steering wheel, trying to turn it, if you do, you will damage the gears in the steering box, they are usually made from pot metal,or white metal, which is not a strong metal.. If after cleaning up the end by the motor, if the steering wheel is still hard to turn, you should replace the cable. If the wheel turns freely, put everything back together, using a good quality water resistent grease, have a beer, and go fishing. If you find that you have to replace everything, and you intend to keep the boat for a few years, do yourself a fovor, and replace your system with a hydralic steering system. It is very easy to do and it will give you years of trouble free service, with minium maintenance.
    let me know how you make out, Dennis

Comment

Working...
    X