Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim/tilt problem

Hi All,

I just tried to go out for an enjoyable ride on my boat only to discover that my engine is stuck in the up position. Last time I used my boat I had no issue with the tilt/trim of my 2003 200HPDI.

I hear the pump running when the switch is pressed in either the up or down position but the engine doesn't budge. I opened the cap for the fluid fill but closed it quickly because fluid came out so I assume it's full. I didn't try to manually lower the engine with the screw on the side of the engine because I was afraid it would get stuck in the down position. I keep my boat in the water and I didn't want the lower unit in the water for an extended period. The lock to hold the engine in the up position isn't interfering with lowering the engine.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and appreciate any info that leads me to a fix.

Thanks,
    Rob

Sometimes you get it moving by rocking the engine up and down manually while depressing switch. Usually two people needed. But that doesn't fix your problem. Boat would need to be pulled out to diagnose issue.

Comment

Any updates?
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

None as of yet... Thanks for asking. I was hoping for some more input from anyone else that has experienced a similar issue.

I appreciate all responses but am surprised that all I got was to rock the engine up and down till it worked, then pull it out for further diagnosis.

Rob

Comment

no tilt down is typically debris in the pump or a failing pump.

Comment

Originally posted by railroad124 View Post
            None as of yet... Thanks for asking. I was hoping for some more input from anyone else that has experienced a similar issue.

I appreciate all responses but am surprised that all I got was to rock the engine up and down till it worked, then pull it out for further diagnosis.

Rob
            Leaving it in the water is a great way to fix a trim/tilt unit. You asked how to perhaps get it to go down. Have you tried anything?

Comment

As noted, must be crap in hydraulic system...

I figured you'd release the manual screw, get some fluid moving about and see if that helps..
              (Not much else you can do while in the water)

Obviously, the boat needs to be on a trailer or on a lift where you can access/work on the unit IF
              after releasing the screw and re-tighten, nothing changes..

Good luck..
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                As noted, must be crap in hydraulic system...

I figured you'd release the manual screw, get some fluid moving about and see if that helps..
                (Not much else you can do while in the water)

Obviously, the boat needs to be on a trailer or on a lift where you can access/work on the unit IF
                after releasing the screw and re-tighten, nothing changes..

Good luck..
                If that manual screw has never been moved it will probably be a beast. Especially leaning over transom. Hate to drop my impact driver in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  If that manual screw has never been moved it will probably be a beast. Especially leaning over transom. Hate to drop my impact driver in the water.
                  Just lost my fav Craftsman, 3/4" combo open end/ box wrench in the canal (when the extended, concrete dock collapsed in the water 2 days ago).

The hand held impacts are about the same $ but I would TAPE the bit to the adapter. I'd also tie (and tape) the tool itself and attach to the boat (or bring a big magnet on a string)...

But none the less, something should be done.. That'd be my first choice and go from there...
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X