Issue With Yam Metallurgy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue With Yam Metallurgy?

I came across a posting on THT, citing the metallurgy issues Yamaha has encountered. If in fact this is true, the article linked below could be the reason. Your thoughts?

Factbox: Kobe Steel's data fabrication leaves 'Made-in-Japan' champions scrambling | Reuters
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

W0w...

Could be interesting for Yamaha and it's customers, for corroded blocks, etc..

I wonder what year(s) they started "cheating" on the spec's of the aluminum Yamaha purchased (and sub-contractors).

IE: Exhaust stack corrosion, etc?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I am so glad I have never had to drill/cut a bolt on a mercury or a jonny/rude or a Honda or a tohatsu or a zuki. it is only Yamaha's that suffer any corrosion.

Comment

Does this mean I will get money from Rolls-Royce, Tesla, Yamaha, ect. if I owned one of there products that was affected?
        I would doupt it, but the main companies probably will get some

Makes you want to go flying around the world now in some of those plane maybe

Hard to believe they will make it all better without going bankrupt.

reminds me of VW and their problems on the emisions
        Last edited by 99yam40; 10-14-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Does this mean I will get money from Rolls-Royce, Tesla, Yamaha, ect. if I owned one of there products that was affected?
          I would doupt it, but the main companies probably will get some

Makes you want to go flying around the world now in some of those plane maybe

Hard to believe they will make it all better without going bankrupt.

reminds me of VW and their problems on the emisions

How about Takita air bags used in 99% of cars?? Not metal related, but their replacing ALL affected bags..

If your specific Yamaha engine is found to have the "issue", again say the exhaust stacks, then let Yamaha repair/ pay for the repair and get it from the supplier...

You know they'll be a class action suit...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            How about Takita air bags used in 99% of cars?? Not metal related, but their replacing ALL affected bags..

If your specific Yamaha engine is found to have the "issue", again say the exhaust stacks, then let Yamaha repair/ pay for the repair and get it from the supplier...

You know they'll be a class action suit...
            Takita is has filed for bankruptcy over that crap pie....directly linked to 17 or so deaths.

Very little integrity left in this world...it looks to me like lying and cheating are just part of the norm now....seems like they are all at it.

Comment

I am so glad I have never seen a zuki corrode a hole in the head or a merc corrode a hole in an ex divider plate.
              never ever seen a jonny/rude corrode holes in the Tstat housing or from the v water jacket into the crankcase.
              how long is a block of AL supposed to last in salt water ?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                Takita is has filed for bankruptcy over that crap pie....directly linked to 17 or so deaths.

Very little integrity left in this world...it looks to me like lying and cheating are just part of the norm now....seems like they are all at it.
                They seem to take great pride in it. They get well rewarded for doing it.

And we the sheeple (citizens or stock holders) keep re-electing them.

It is Takata by the way. Similar to cordless tool maker Makata, but different.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

That's two days in a row you got me...I have to start paying more attention to my spelling I guess.

Now go and nitpick someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

I thought it was Makita

Comment

Suzuki and Honda outboards also build their engines using the same metal supplier as yamaha, as cited in the article.
                      Jason
                      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                        That's two days in a row you got me...I have to start paying more attention to my spelling I guess.

Now go and nitpick someone else.
                        Why is it so easy to spot others faux pas' and not our own?

Or why do my own screw ups only show up once I hit the send button?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          I am so glad I have never had to drill/cut a bolt on a mercury or a jonny/rude or a Honda or a tohatsu or a zuki. it is only Yamaha's that suffer any corrosion.
                          This^
                          I recently bought an used engine, Yamaha, from a repair shop that deals with hundreds of engines of all makes. I had asked him what he thought about Hondas because I was considering a boat that had one. He replied they were good engines but also suffer from corrosion issues. He said all 4 strokes do. He showed me a pile of parts that were removed from corroded mid sections and they included all colors.
                          He said you mainly hear about Yamaha issues because.......(enter drum roll)....

Comment

Originally posted by Captn Dave View Post
                            This^
                            I recently bought an used engine, Yamaha, from a repair shop that deals with hundreds of engines of all makes. I had asked him what he thought about Hondas because I was considering a boat that had one. He replied they were good engines but also suffer from corrosion issues. He said all 4 strokes do. He showed me a pile of parts that were removed from corroded mid sections and they included all colors.
                            He said you mainly hear about Yamaha issues because.......(enter drum roll)....
                            Because they are made in Japan? ?

Comment

I see many more light grey motors pooting around here than black or white.

Does anyone realize how filthy a boat gets when taking 4 kids crabbing? We had a banner day. 2 and 1/2 5 gallon buckets of water spiders. Only got pinched 4 times...

Comment

Working...
                              X