Panasonic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic question

You suggested a primer for aluminum awhile back. Came up in a conversation about the thermostat bore corrosion. You suggested this primer before using the green paint Fairdeal had used on his F225.

What was that stuff? Thanks!

aluminum primer is usually Zinc cromate or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      You suggested a primer for aluminum awhile back. Came up in a conversation about the thermostat bore corrosion. You suggested this primer before using the green paint Fairdeal had used on his F225.

What was that stuff? Thanks!
      I suggested that the aluminum be acid etched, after mechanical removal of the corrosion, then treated with Alodine conversion coating, and finally primed with Zinc Chromate two part epoxy primer. This is the process used on almost all aircraft in the world...

Be WARNED if you decide to do this...follow the instructions to the letter and don't be getting this stuff in places where you cannot rinse it away.

The two part zinc chromate primer is way superior to the one part Zinc Chromate.

I myself would at the very least, use two part epoxy Zinc Chromate if you don't want to fool around with the etching.

Bosceo didn't agree with the acid etch and was going to contact Bonderite and see what they say about doing the acid etch and conversion coating on aluminum outboard castings....

See links.

AT117 ALUMINUM PREP 8oz KIT

CMO483660 Corrosion Protective Green Epoxy Primer 2 oz. Kit

Comment

He didn't? Did he say why?

Comment

I thought the spray cans of one part Zinc Chromate were self etching.
          most marine stores sold it

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            He sure did....said he was going to look into it, last I heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              I think Roscoe tried to call them and the office was closed for the day

I may try the two part. Worried about the acid running down behind bore into water jacket, etc. But...I could crank the motor without t-stat and blow all sorts of water out of the engine. Bet that would flush it..
              Last edited by pstephens46; 10-03-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I thought the spray cans of one part Zinc Chromate were self etching.
                most marine stores sold it
                Yes you are correct 99, same as "self etching" primer for steel... neither doesn't work well..IMO

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  I think Roscoe tried to call them and the office was closed for the day
                  I believe you are right...strange he let that go so easy....hmmm

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Yes you are correct 99, same as "self etching" primer for steel... neither doesn't work well..IMO
                      that does not sound right to me for some reason,

maybe
                      neither work well or
                      both do not work well

Comment

Both do not work well...sorry about my bad writing. If you heard me talking you probably wouldn't understand half of what I say...lol
                        Last edited by panasonic; 10-03-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I think it comes from where we are located.
                          You have said before about the differences in language even tho we both are suppose to be speaking the English language.

I have a sister in law from Germany that has said there is a very big difference in the German language even inside their country.
                          even in USA I find it strange the way some talk pronounce things some times.

I was criticized back in the 70s in Calif on how I said Ignition coil when trying to buy one over there

Comment

Working...
                          X