F225 Multiple Tries to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 Multiple Tries to Start

I need to lean on you again for a little advice re: my 2003 F225TXRB 69J X 1003602 Q. It’s an EFI with 209 hours. Fresh water only. It is unlikely I will tackle a repair myself unless it is straight-forward. My objective is a little education before I bend-over at my local dealer. If you feel this has been described on this forum - please point me to that place.

The engine is -sometimes- hard to start. Often it takes maybe 4-5 “tries” to get it going. What I mean by “tries” - I start the engine, it runs for maybe 2 seconds and stops. I do this over and over until magically it starts and keeps running. Less frequently it starts and continues to run on first try.

On my boat the primer bulb is exposed, so maybe the previous owner had an issue. I frequently pump the bulb however I am not confident this makes a difference. The bulb always seems to have the same pressure, with the exception described below.

Possibly related: Once this year after running for about 10 minutes at idle in gear, the engine started to shake and it stalled. I could not restart it. Of course it was in a busy channel. So I just threw out the hook and began to investigate. I noticed the primer bulb was hard as a rock, which it never is. The fuel line appeared slightly kinked at the bulb which I straightened. I sat for maybe 15 minutes and investigated again. The primer bulb was now soft. I tried the engine - started right up. No problems like this since.

My un-educated theory is I have an electrical / sensor issue on start-up. On the possibly-related issue - this sure seems to me like a vapor lock which (I hope) has resolved itself. Seems strange to me that this would happen on a EFI. Maybe it was simply the fuel line kink issue.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Robin
Working...
X