Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Tilt Leaks from the bottom

Hi,

I just rebuilt tilt and trim cylinders because the gaskets on the top were leaking. I had to disconnect a little tube on the bottom of the tilt cylinder to pull the tilt rod out. When I was screwing it back in I accidentally cross threaded the inside thread. I fixed it with the tap tool. The nut on the end of the tube went back smoothly and tight. However, under pressure the nut leaks from outside and the center (around the tube). Can I use some kind of liquid sealant to patch the leak? I was going to use Flex Shot but I thought I ask around before I screw something up. I am not sure it its going to hold under pressure. Has anyone had this issue before? Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alextol34; 07-25-2017, 10:59 PM.

I'm guessing when you chased the threads, you chewed up the bottom of the bore -
    which has a specific contour to mate with the flare of the tubing

can't imagine how you would dress that now - would think it was done originally with a custom cutting tool

don't know what flexshot is - you've got nothing to lose by trying to clean it real good and using some thick anerobic gasket sealant

Rodbolt must have dealt with this often - where is he lately - vacation?

Maybe he's come to the Keys for Lobster Mini Season - half the planet has...
    Last edited by fairdeal; 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks fairdeal. I'll try the sealant. It is really the only option I can think of besides buying a new cylinder.

Comment

need to try to keep the sealant out of the PTT fluid and valves.
        good luck

Comment

I would try a structural epoxy. With the understanding that it is probably a one time try. If it does not hold then the unit will probably need to be replaced.

Thoroughly clean the area of all fluid before you do this however. Going to be a fiddly job of doing so and then refilling the unit.

Comment

I just read that for hydraulics most people use LocTite thread sealer with teflon or Leak Lock. I'll try the locTite with teflon when I find where to get it.

Comment

well, your problem is that's you've damaged the "tubing seat" where the parts are designed to seal - two matched surfaces forced tightly against each other.

a sealant may - or may not - be able to fill and hold that "gap"

if not,

behind it, you have the threads of the nut, which probably can be sealed well

but the "weak point" is the large central area between the nut and tube - which is not intended to be a sealing point.

IIRC pressure in the t/t approaches 2,000 psi

Comment

fairdeal, you are right. Hydraulic fluid is running from the center of the nut and on the sides also. It does look like the tubing seat is damaged or I might have banded the pipe so it didn't align with the tubing seat. I am going to try to use Supco Leak Lock to seal the threads of the nut and seal the hole inside the nut where the tube runs. They advertise that it can withstand 10,0000 PSI pressure. Or I might just use epoxy to seal the center of the nut because I don't want to wait and not be able to use my boat this weekend lol. I never used this stuff. Hope it works.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by alextol34; 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alextol34 View Post
                  fairdeal, you are right. Hydraulic fluid is running from the center of the nut and on the sides also. It does look like the tubing seat is damaged or I might have banded the pipe so it didn't align with the tubing seat. I am going to try to use Supco Leak Lock to seal the threads of the nut and seal the hole inside the nut where the tube runs. They advertise that it can withstand 10,0000 PSI pressure. Or I might just use epoxy to seal the center of the nut because I don't want to wait and not be able to use my boat this weekend lol. I never used this stuff. Hope it works.
                  Oh I hope you didn't goop it up with sealant yet. There are seat repair cones made for hydraulic lines...I have used them and they work very well...

You could give these guys a call and see if they have a cone that will fit...it won't be cheap but probably cheaper the a new cylinder...

Seco Seals - conical washer, metal gaskets, cones

Comment

I went to a hydraulic supply store today. They also recommended the cone, but all of their cones were too big. I can try to find one online but not sure which size do I need. The nut size is 10mm. I'll see if I can find one. If I don't, I got LockTite 547 sealant. I'll seal around the nut and around the tube and hopefully that works. I'll post here how it works.

Comment

Working...
                    X