94 90 TLRS Lower Unit swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 90 TLRS Lower Unit swap

I recently noticed a gear oil leak from the prop area and took my new to me used boat and motor to have the prop shaft seals replaced, figuring some mono got in there and chewed it up. I was right about the mono but somehow the edge of the housing behind the prop had been dented and flattened out prior to my purchase. This means the container nut wont come out, which means no "easy" prop seal job.
    I know the correct lower assembly is 6H1-45300-13-4D ($1748!!!) and that assembly is for only the 94s/ The 95 lower unit will apparently also fit 96s.
    I see the 94 70 TLRS is 6H3-45300-13-4D ($1470).

SO the question is really am I limited to only the 1994 Lower for the 90 or are other lowers compatible (if so, which?)? Trying to find a 90 TJRS or TLRS with a blown powerhead is a needle in the haystack

Thanks
    Clint

94 is the only year that lower part # is listed.
    and only for the 90

have you thought about leak checking your lower unit to see where it is leaking?
    if just the shaft seals, you might be able to replace them without pulling the carrier. just have to be careful not to damage the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      94 is the only year that lower part # is listed.
      and only for the 90

have you thought about leak checking your lower unit to see where it is leaking?
      if just the shaft seals, you might be able to replace them without pulling the carrier. just have to be careful not to damage the shaft.
      Will do. thought about pulling them but was worried I might screw it up. Mechanic that has it right now hasn't done that before (fairly young) but a buddy of mine, who does primarily Merc work, and I talked about it and will do it for me. He's two and a half hours away so that will likely wait until the off-season. I plan to run it and check, drain and refill the lube every run or two. Worst case scenario is I kill the lower, which will result in a new unit. Current scenario is having to buy a new lower unit as is. At least this way I get some summer boat time.

Comment

Working...
      X