Question on Winky Blinky Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Winky Blinky Use

I'm not sure is this applies to ALL engines that use the Winky Blinky, but in regards to mine...

From reading the service manual, it appears that every time the engine is turned off and back on, it resets the codes (erases them). Did I read that right... Is that correct?

If so, then...

-- Will the code stay in "short term memory" (for lack of a better term)? Meaning, let's say I'm running the engine (and some type of issue happens) then idle down (but not off) and THEN connect the Winky. Will it show the codes?

or

-- Do you have to monitor the Winky in real time while the "event" is currently happening?
    Last edited by DennisG01; 05-07-2017, 07:50 PM.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

on the OX66 it is done in real time.
    also if the lamp is installed there is no automatic oil transfer.
    manual transfer will work as well as all alarms.
    will only blink a code when the code is active.

Comment

Zero memory - must be monitoring the Winky in real time while the computer is complaining. Thank you. I don't currently have one, but am contemplating getting one to help narrow down a very sporadic issue. Hence the question about "short term memory".

I assumed that the oil injection would not work since the Winky takes it's place in the harness. But thank you for confirming that.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
        Zero memory - must be monitoring the Winky in real time while the computer is complaining. Thank you. I don't currently have one, but am contemplating getting one to help narrow down a very sporadic issue. Hence the question about "short term memory".

I assumed that the oil injection would not work since the Winky takes it's place in the harness. But thank you for confirming that.
        In the market for a Winky myself. Let me know if you can find them cheaper than $114

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
          In the market for a Winky myself. Let me know if you can find them cheaper than $114
          Will do, Scoff. I'd actually like to make one, but I don't know if there is anything "smart" hidden inside it.
          Last edited by DennisG01; 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X