Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 9.9 water / shaft problem - thanks for any help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 water / shaft problem - thanks for any help!

Hi, I've had my Yamaha 9.9 2 stroke for about 4 years, and love it dearly, but it's been slowly presenting me with different problems each year, the heathen, how dare it get old!

A crack developed at the top of the casing / shaft (apologies if I use the wrong language here - the metal bit just below the engine housing is where I mean) last year and when I got the engine serviced last year the guy said it's not too much to worry about yet, but it's grown bigger. I was planning to use some metal filler to patch it up but at the end of last year I washed out the engine at home and noticed water spitting out of the crack, which gets quite substantial as you give it throttle (see video attached).

https://youtu.be/W3yetO93bDM

A couple of questions..

Is this ok? (I feel like water should not be there to be spitting out?)
    Then, would it be ok to plug it up with metal filler? (if it is ok)
    Should I just take it to a pro?

Any other advice and help greatly welcomed and thanked for in advance!

Can you see any of the leaks when you pull the cowling off and inspect?
    looked like water and exhaust coming out in the video, the mechanic that looked at it should be able to tell you what it will take to fix it

Comment

+1 ^^^. That cover needs to come off for further inspection.

If it is indeed a crack, (NOT bad gasket), probably to the mid section, you may be able to weld it.
      Definitely getting exhaust blowing out of there.

Is any of this water/exhaust making it up into the actual engine cowl/engine?

Can you post a year and model # of your engine?

Here's a parts fisch for a similar engine: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ING/parts.html

You can see the outer mid section (probably cracked as you posted), but, your getting exhaust as well coming out. You can see the center part IS for the exhaust and is separate.

IMO, it needs to be addressed...
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-01-2017, 07:13 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Could you possibly take a couple close up pictures of the Crack?

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

Cowling not off on vid but I've had a look under there at the time and all appears fine, no water etc there.

Will double check model # and year but it's pretty old! Also will post pics of the crack tomorrow.

So, is it normal to have water and exhaust in this section? Therefore the crack would work as an extra hole for the exhaust and water to escape through?

Comment

Working...
          X