Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I have a 2012 250hp 2 stroke outboard. Everything was running fine until I hit something in the water. The motor lost power (of course messed up lower unit). Now my certified boat mechanic is saying that the impact messed up something in the power head (ring/rod or something). The insurance adjuster says that is not possible and they will not cover the power head. Has anyone else ever had this thing happen? I have numerous witnesses that can verify that the motor was running perfect that morning when I took off from the boat ramp.
    My mechanic states it is something that happens, not common but he has seen it before.

How does it run with the lower removed ?

Comment

What is the complete model of the motor?

There is a term used when a motor is running along and then something causes it to quit running or slow down quickly. It is referred to as sudden stoppage. And yes, it can damage a motor internally. Not uncommon at all.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...%20%281%29.pdf

Is your insurance company really saying that power plant damage cannot occur or are they perhaps saying that the power plant damage is excluded in your insurance policy, since they may be interpreting it as consequential damage?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

There is a term used when a motor is running along and then something causes it to quit running or slow down quickly. It is referred to as sudden stoppage. And yes, it can damage a motor internally. Not uncommon at all.

Is your insurance company really saying that power plant damage cannot occur or are they perhaps saying that the power plant damage is excluded in your insurance policy, since they may be interpreting it as consequential damage?
        I like the directions for "complete blast cleaning with 17 grit walnut shells"

I am sure Rodbolt uses them to polish his spent casings.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          I like the directions for "complete blast cleaning with 17 grit walnut shells"

I am sure Rodbolt uses them to polish his spent casings.
          Those shells (walnut shells that is) can be good stuff. Been used in aviation for years and years.

Walnut Shell and Pecan Shell Filter Media, Abrasives, and Carriers - Jet Blast)

Now speaking of nuts, rodnut may very well use walnut shells to clean his spent shells. Spent shell casings that is.

Was it a Wall Nut at one time that got changed to walnut? We loves to coin some new words. Why even a lowly switch can become an exotic sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Riddle View Post
            I have a 2012 250hp 2 stroke outboard. Everything was running fine until I hit something in the water. The motor lost power (of course messed up lower unit). Now my certified boat mechanic is saying that the impact messed up something in the power head (ring/rod or something). The insurance adjuster says that is not possible and they will not cover the power head. Has anyone else ever had this thing happen? I have numerous witnesses that can verify that the motor was running perfect that morning when I took off from the boat ramp.
            My mechanic states it is something that happens, not common but he has seen it before.
            I would like to hear what is wrong with the power head. probably will not help your situation, but we all can learn more.

maybe not enough information to the isurance people on what is wrong.

give motor info and maybe someone can answer better
            Last edited by 99yam40; 04-27-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Would consequential damage apply to a passenger thrown from boat after striking the object? I love insurance companies.

Insurance company would probably have to be presented with the exact details of engine damage. Certainly with an appeal. So your mechanic would have to tear it down and determine what is wrong. Pictures and all.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Would consequential damage apply to a passenger thrown from boat after striking the object? I love insurance companies.

Insurance company would probably have to be presented with the exact details of engine damage. Certainly with an appeal. So your mechanic would have to tear it down and determine what is wrong. Pictures and all.
                While I have no general love for insurance or other companies I can see their position with respect to consequential damages.

Take Boeing. Let's say they sell a bolt for a hundred bucks. Their profit is ten dollars. The bolt is defective and fails, a wing falls off the airplane, and the airplane, with 300 folks on board, crashes into a school yard of little children. 400 are dead and the $200 million dollar jet and $50 million school house are all lost.

Boeing says that according to the sales agreement they owe someone a new bolt. That is all. Due to a consequential damages clause.

Anyone that would take a multi-million dollar risk for a measly 10 bucks would have to be out of their mind.

Of course in practice it is never this simple.

Comment

Boeing says that according to the sales agreement they owe someone a new bolt. That is all. Due to a consequential damages clause..
                  Keeping to your example, Boeing is not liable for damages caused by the failure of their product (assuming the product was being used per Boeing's guidelines)??
                  Jason
                  1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                    Keeping to your example, Boeing is not liable for damages caused by the failure of their product (assuming the product was being used per Boeing's guidelines)??
                    My thoughts are it depends on if that bolt met the standards it was suppose to, and if it was installed properly, and if anyone can prove it was/did or not

Comment

See what happens to a thread when the OP fails to check back in?

Comment

I actually use corn husk media to tumble my brass.

to the OP.
                        find a dealership that employs a master tech.
                        use the Yamaha dealer locator.

I argue with insurance companies several times a year.
                        that adjuster/inspector has no actual training in outboards.

Comment

Working...
                        X