Painted prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted prop

I'm curious about why a prop is painted and how the paint affects the prop performance. Any comments?

My experience tells me that most aluminum props are painted with what appears to be a flat black enamel. This stuff wears off over time with no apparent effect.

There are also painted stainless steel props - but having had no experience with these props, I don't know what affect the paint has. Most stainless props seem to be highly polished, and seem to perform very well when well matched with motor and boat hull.

So what would happen if one was to paint an aluminum prop with a hard, gloss enamel, such as an epoxy enamel? Any change in hole shot or top speed? ( I did purchase a can of Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy Enamel - gloss black - but it read in the instructions something to the effect "for use on interior appliances".) Made me think that it would not be suitable for the under-water environment of a propeller.

So I might paint my paint-starved aluminum prop with a gloss automotive enamel or epoxy enamel just to see what effect it has.

Any words of wisdom?
Working...
X