Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 225 excell won't start

Has anybody ever had this problem?
    I have a 225 excel that runs great and fires right up.
    Except on cool damp mornings. I had it diagnosed at a Yamaha shop and they told me it was the stator. I replaced the stator and it did the same thing.
    Any suggestions?

Confused.

Check for spark when it doesn't start.

Not sure of your "choke set up".

If its just COLD OUTSIDE, still issues starting cold?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have no spark. Just cranks over and over. I pulled a spark plug and have no spark. I checked all sensors and they all check out.

Comment

Great, now we're getting somewhere...

Probably more involved but check all your connections as in R&R (not just look) grounds, etc, especially in the ignition system.

Check where the main connector goes into the ecu as well for any corrosion, loose contact wires.

You have a bad connection somewhere, just barely (as the issue is very limited)..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

kill switch,key switch, or the wiring could be grounding the voltage to coils to keep from sparking.
          need to know if the peak voltage readings to and from the CDI are in spec

taking the kill wire loose from CDI will eliminate those switches and wiring

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            kill switch,key switch, or the wiring could be grounding the voltage to coils to keep from sparking.
            need to know if the peak voltage readings to and from the CDI are in spec

taking the kill wire loose from CDI will eliminate those switches and wiring
            That is exactly what I was thinking , too simple ,but yet so confusing , I once had a omc, switch mounted right on flat spot spot on console , would not start ( going fishing early morning ( heavy dew) out of desperation sprayed some wd40 in key , bingo , bad switch , we fished and caught ! Just a thought e

Comment

Great suggestions. Thanks
              I will try disconnecting the switch and see if the problem is starting from there.
              I'm sure its something so simple but just can't nail it down. I have cleaned all my grounds and check all connections with no success so far. I think the switch may be my salvation. I will let you know what I find.

Jeff

Comment

find the kill wire that hooks to the CDI to disconnect there.

if that lets it spark , then chase it down to one of the switches or the wiring itself

Comment

Update

Well I want to thank you guys for all your help. Just an update for you.
                  I discovered finally! what my problem was. It turned out to be the computer.
                  I disconnected the safety switch at the CDI box and that did not work.
                  What I finally did was put bags of Ice around the computer it's self. Taking car not to cool down any other parts and I was able to reenact the problem. When the computer was cold enough the engine would not start. Then I took a hair dryer (not Mine) and warmed just the computer up and was able to start the motor. What a frustrating repair this has been.
                  Thanks again. I hope this helps anyone else who has this crazy problem.

Comment

Did you find a replacement computer ?
                    I have one if your looking off a 89 225 Excel. Also got carburetors and coils

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bondobill View Post
                      Did you find a replacement computer ?
                      I have one if your looking off a 89 225 Excel. Also got carburetors and coils

Bill
                      Thanks Bill but yes I did find one. I installed it yesterday and it seems to be working fine. I will keep you in mind if other things start to fail. She's getting old (my boat).

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
                        Amazing. Way to go.

Now you have a spare stator from the dealer!
                        Yes I do!!
                        If anybody is in need of a good OME stator I have one 1989 225 excel.

Comment

Glad you are on your way.
                          I own this engine, actually selling it with my 1989 Mako 210 Walk Around. I flat out love it. Would never have thought of selling
                          but came across a boat on my canal that has twin year 2000 200 OX66 on her. Hoping I have as much luck and enjoyment out of these as with the 89 225 Excel.
                          2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
                          Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Working...
                          X