2001 Yamaha saltwater series II V6 150hp and 175hp differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Yamaha saltwater series II V6 150hp and 175hp differences

Hi guys. Just after information on differences of these 2 models. I wondered what parts differ from each other. From a servicing point of view. Have just found out I may have a 175hp instead of a 150hp.
    I was led to believe it was a 150hp but have since found out that it may well be a 175hp due to the cowling part numbers. Is it just bore sizes or more ? Thanks in advance for any clarification on this. Cheers

the difference?
    about 25 HP.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      the difference?
      about 25 HP.
      Talking mechanical differences bud like spark plugs and internal engine components. Cowlings are slightly different too which was odd.

Comment

Originally posted by adamibinfishin View Post
        Hi guys. Just after information on differences of these 2 models. I wondered what parts differ from each other. From a servicing point of view. Have just found out I may have a 175hp instead of a 150hp.
        I was led to believe it was a 150hp but have since found out that it may well be a 175hp due to the cowling part numbers. Is it just bore sizes or more ? Thanks in advance for any clarification on this. Cheers
        An SX150 is a OX66 Fuel injected motor (SX prefix), Other model 150s can be a carbureted (no prefix), or a HPDI motor (Z in the prefix). 175 HP Model year 2001, Yamaha only made the HPDI motor. Do you have a belt under your flywheel cover?

Scout around in the below site part diagrams and see if you can identify your motor.
        Yamaha Outboard Parts
        You can also post pics, someone members may help identify.
        Post your complete model # as well. Is it SX150TXRZ, or otherwise? Could be the powerhead was changed and now your model # means nuttin'?
        Last edited by cpostis; 09-02-2016, 08:48 AM. Reason: added info
        Chuck,
        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

The carburetor model is the one i am talking about. Saltwater series II 2 stroke. Hope that helps. Thanks.
          Will post up the exact model numbers tomorrow. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by adamibinfishin View Post
            The carburetor model is the one i am talking about. Saltwater series II 2 stroke. Hope that helps. Thanks.
            Will post up the exact model numbers tomorrow. Cheers
            OK, from what I see on the link I sent you earlier, Yamaha DID NOT make a carbureted Salt Water Series II (S prefix), 150 HP for model year 2001. Last year was 1999.

We'll figure it out!
            Chuck,

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
              OK, from what I see on the link I sent you earlier, Yamaha DID NOT make a carbureted Salt Water Series II (S prefix), 150 HP for model year 2001. Last year was 1999.

We'll figure it out!
              The crap on the cowls means nothing. What means something is the primary identification of the motor. It will be found on the data plate that is on the left hand clamp bracket. Always begins with the number 6. That is what is needed to identify the specific model of motor that you have.

Generally, within the same engine family/type, there will be little differences between a 150 HP model and a 175 HP model. Maybe carburetors or maybe just the CDI/ECU.

You can go to the Yamaha parts catalog. Open up the book for a 150 HP model and also open up the book for the similar 175 HP model. You can then compare the part numbers to determine the differences between the two HP models.

PMPro Consumer

You can also go to the service manual to try and determine differences between very similar models. For instance.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                The crap on the cowls means nothing. What means something is the primary identification of the motor. It will be found on the data plate that is on the left hand clamp bracket. Always begins with the number 6. That is what is needed to identify the specific model of motor that you have.

Generally, within the same engine family/type, there will be little differences between a 150 HP model and a 175 HP model. Maybe carburetors or maybe just the CDI/ECU.

You can go to the Yamaha parts catalog. Open up the book for a 150 HP model and also open up the book for the similar 175 HP model. You can then compare the part numbers to determine the differences between the two HP models.

PMPro Consumer

You can also go to the service manual to try and determine differences between very similar models. For instance.
                Interesting Boscoe!

So how/where do you decode the prefix? Won't mean a hoot if the powerhead was changed though.

Chuck,

Comment

Interesting Boscoe!

So how/where do you decode the prefix? Won't mean a hoot if the powerhead was changed though.
                  I decode the prefix from a top secret Yamaha book that I have. If I shared it with you, you would have to be killed first.

The SM can help to decode the prefixes as well. See below:

But you are correct. If the motor has been modified with no documentation regarding those modifications, then all bets are off. It is anyone's best guess as to what parts the motor may consist of.

Comment

Got it!

Some examples...
                    6G4 = 150 HP
                    6G5 = 175 HP
                    6G6 = 200 HP
                    6K0 = 150 HP
                    6J9 = 150 HP

And.... a 6G4 could be efi or carb? So, why should I not just use the model name (SX150TXRZ) that tells me Salt Water Series, OX66 fuel injection, 150HP, power t/t electric start, remote, 2001 model year to identify the motor? It tells me more than the prefix does. Is the prefix number anywhere on the block?

Any advantages to the prefix number you can tell me?
                    Chuck,

Comment

Got it!

Some examples...
                      6G4 = 150 HP
                      6G5 = 175 HP
                      6G6 = 200 HP
                      6K0 = 150 HP
                      6J9 = 150 HP

And.... a 6G4 could be efi or carb? So, why should I not just use the model name (SX150TXRZ) that tells me Salt Water Series, OX66 fuel injection, 150HP, power t/t electric start, remote, 2001 model year to identify the motor? It tells me more than the prefix does. Is the prefix number anywhere on the block?

Any advantages to the prefix number you can tell me?
                      If talking about a model distributed by Yamaha USA here in the states the model can tell all that needs to be known.

A problem surfaces when a foreign model is provided. If the PID prefix is provided then we can surmise which Yamaha USA model it most closely matches. Either via an SM or via the book that I have.

The prefix for the complete motor is on the data tag that is on the PID label attached to the clamp bracket. There are some parts that may have the prefix cast into them. But then there is a problem when two different prefix models (69J F225/60L F200 for instance) use the same prefix part. The lower unit for instance, which carries a 69J identity for both models. Between the 3.3L F200 and F225 the only differences by part number are the throttle valves and the ECU. Maybe the cowling because it has different graphics.

Comment

Thanks Bosco,

I see from previous posts, adamibinfishin is an Aussie. Let's see what he has for his identification numbers.

adamibinfishin,
                        "Have just found out I may have a 175hp instead of a 150hp"

Just how did you find this out?
                        Last edited by cpostis; 09-02-2016, 05:15 PM. Reason: added info
                        Chuck,

Comment

Yamaha 175hp

Sorry for the late reply guys. Worked it out through yamaha Australia with engine numbers. Ended up being the 175hp which is fine. Only real difference in service terms is slightly different temperature rated plug. Don't mind the slight extra horsepower. Thanks for your replies.
                          Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X