Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 115 trim problem, blew main fuse

Hello, saw similar post but wanted to define problem

when trimming up the main fuse blew no trim no spinning the starter....I did hot wire the starter, and came home 25 miles running just below the speed limiting misfire caused by the blown main fuse.

with new fuse trim would only click the solenoids, BUT if I unhooked either the blue or green bullet connector near the trim solenoids the motor would run 1 way from the pan switch pushing it up or down. unplug the other solenoid wire and rehook up the first one unplugged, the motor would run that way.......so motor is good........Then I decided to check the front binnacle trim switch, and saw FROM THE FACTORY the wires were pinched by the handle screws, not broken just squashed...I have pictures !

When reading older post, the guy had same problem, and gave up. then took it to ....dealer who said switch problem so that forum guy gave me another clue....on that earlier post Rodbolt said I call it B.S..on the binnacle trim swich causing the problem-- now imagine how hard it can be for him to know how to fix something without being able to look at it

NOW listen for sure I admire and appreciate this forum and Yamaha deserves credit for helping its family of outboard owners...People like Rodbolt helping us all shows... STRENGTH in the breed. YAMAHA

Maybe it is my binnacle trim switch...I was replacing it because its wires are pinched anyhow. Ordering today, I will report back IF , or if not the new switch fixes my trim problem .

Thanks for being here .............joel
    Attached Files

Well, you know you have a short.

You know it blew the fuse when you activated the switch.

You most likely found the issue (and are dealing with it)

With that said, us on the other side of a computer screen ASSUME
    the wires in the handle were installed correctly from the factory.

If the wires were initially installed correctly, RB would be correct as it NORMALLY wouldn't fit into the equation...

There's MANY times important information, facts, etc, are left out of a thread / post until someone asks...(which hampers us in helping). Previous owners OFTEN do stupid stuff, that have to be fixed and again, is not normally considered as we cannot see the "work" done..

Do please post back once re-assembled..

Had the same thing on a brand NEW BMW motorcycle. It has a computer that diagnoses itself. My friends brake light would NOT work. Computer said the issue was in the front of the bike. We got into a pissing match as I wanted to start at the rear, against what the computer said. My friend relented, sure enough, two wires, from the factory, squashed in a frame rail shorting out... Fixed that quickly.. The computer isn't designed to FIND SHORTS...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-29-2016, 06:01 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I GAR RON TEE you the wire were NOT pinched when that box left the factory.

what the minimum wage worker did that installed it maybe suspect.
      that is part of the problem, boats are assembled from many many parts and pieces and most not from Yamaha.
      unlike your ferds and chebbies, Yamaha marine usually has nothing to do with how the motor is unboxed and installed on something that floats.

but I did say that if you hit the switch and a fuse blows then you have a short between the power supply and the device.

Comment

Working...
      X