Engine hour meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine hour meter

I have a 225 txrd but no Yamaha gauges so am looking to purchase this gauge on this site 6Y5-8350T-83-00. Primary use is engine hours. If purchased will mount about 2-3' from the ignition switch. A couple of questions:

1. Is this a simple hook up to the ignition harness ? I currently have two connectors coming off the harness.

2. Will I need to purchase an additional harness?

Also as an FYI I currently have two combination Faria instruments (rpm, speed, fuel gauge, volts)
    Last edited by captn tj; 08-28-2016, 08:59 AM. Reason: additional info

instead of answering your questions, I'll ask a few

- are you planning to keep the Faria tach, and add this gauge just to get hours?

- you want to capture engine running hours for your maintenance intervals?

- do you currently have a trim gauge?

Comment

If all you are in need of is an hour meter then using the multi-function tachometer is an expensive and strange way to go about it.

Most here will have no or little idea as to how your boat is wired to the existing instruments. Here is the way that the 6Y5-8350T-83-00 M/F tachometer is normally wired to the motor per Yamaha.

Now keep in mind that the -83-00 tachometer might not be the best one to be used with an F225TXRD, if your motor uses two nylon connectors in the engine pan for the trim/oil/over temperature ground leads. Yamaha made a design change about that time and went from two nylon connectors (as seen on the tachometer) to just one nylon connector.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        If all you are in need of is an hour meter then using the multi-function tachometer is an expensive and strange way to go about it.

Most here will have no or little idea as to how your boat is wired to the existing instruments. Here is the way that the 6Y5-8350T-83-00 M/F tachometer is normally wired to the motor per Yamaha.

Now keep in mind that the -83-00 tachometer might not be the best one to be used with an F225TXRD, if your motor uses two nylon connectors in the engine pan for the trim/oil/over temperature ground leads. Yamaha made a design change about that time and went from two nylon connectors (as seen on the tachometer) to just one nylon connector.

Fairdeal and Boscoe,

The objective was to get (actual) engine hours and perhaps some additional information such as oil etc.

To answer the questions I do plan on keeping the Faria gauges and yes they do have a trim function. The engine hour info is for maintenance. And I do have two vacant connectors on the engine. However, I also have two unused connectors hanging off of the switch harness.

My original desire months ago was to get fuel management info. I've since accomplished that by running a GFS 10 via N2K to my chartplotter. I also had hopes of getting engine info via N2K and bought the Lowrance cable run to the blue/white connector. Unfortunately the information is not consistent as I get it on start up and then it disappears and comes back for a couple of seconds. But even if consistent - the Garmin unit would not provide the actual hours.

If I was only looking for basic engine hour info I guess I could put an inexpensive hour meter on.

Comment

well, if your ECU was fully Command Link capable, your Garmin could display engine hours:

but it sounds like yours is not

just to keep track of hours, you can find on eBay 2" hourmeter displays for <$10

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by captn tj View Post
              Fairdeal and Boscoe,

The objective was to get (actual) engine hours and perhaps some additional information such as oil etc.
              The 6Y5-8350T-83-00 you mentioned does not display engine hours. It only displays tachometer hours. Which may or may not agree with engine hours.

To display engine hours you will need a 6Y8 Command Link tachometer. You will also need to have a motor that is Command Link compatible. The CL tachometer is wired completely differently from other types of tachometers.

A basic tachometer also will not indicate engine hours. Only tachometer hours. Which might or might not agree with the engine run time hours.

Comment

What is the complete identification of your motor?

69J X and then some digits. What are those digits.

Comment

It seems that your motor has the blue and white Command Link output wires.

Contact Andy at www.simyamaha.com and see if he still has and loans out the Command Link tachometer that can be used to see if your ECU outputs engine data.

By the way, you can get access to your engine hours via YDIS if you have the program and a laptop computer irrespective of your motor having Command Link capability or not.

Comment

here again.

is it to freaking hard to post ALL the model number data???????
                    the last alpha was actually used 2 times as a D model.
                    once in 1990 then again in 1995.

a HUGE difference.

sometimes the Prefix alpha characters make a HUGE difference.

Comment

Are you implying that a 225TXRD and an F225TXRD are not the same?

I believe they are both made by Yamaha. I believe they are both gray.

Reminds me of the old adage about a guy asking another guy 'how do I get to where you are'? The other guy said "I am right here. If you don't know where you are, such that I don't know where you are, how can I tell you how to get to where I am".

Or something like that.
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 08-28-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        here again.

is it to freaking hard to post ALL the model number data???????
                        the last alpha was actually used 2 times as a D model.
                        once in 1990 then again in 1995.

a HUGE difference.

sometimes the Prefix alpha characters make a HUGE difference.

Here's my info F225TXRD and 69J X 1018505N

Comment

so just slightly "older" than mine:

Then it seems you have a -30 ECU

which has a frustrating "almost" N2K output

Comment

Working...
                          X