Flushing whilst afloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing whilst afloat

I am moving to a place where I will have a private mooring.

This means my boat (175 Saltwater Series V6 2stroke) will spend a lot of time sitting in the saltwater. The engine will tilt clear of the water, and the boat will be on a floating dock or sitting in a pen (pump used to draw out water, saves use of antifoul).

I am curious how people approach flushing their engines in these docking situations. I am imagining slipping a bag over the leg isolating the leg from the surrounding saltwater and filling it with fresh water. The freshwater is either available from a land hose, or from the boat's internal tank (with pump).

There will be some "gymnastics" required to get this bag over the leg, and then some difficulty I would imagine in filling this bag and accommodating the exhaust gas that will try to displace the water in it.

How do you approach this task?

Zenoahphobic:
    CANT POU JUST RAISE YOUR MOTOR, PUT MUFFS ON WITH THE WATER HOSE ON, LOWER THE MOTOR, START AND FLUSH YOUR ENGINE, TURN YOUR ENGINE OFF, RAISE YOUR MOTOR, TAKE OFF THE MUFFS AND TURN OFF YOUR WATER?

SCOTT HAS HIS BOAT ON A LIFT AND FLUSHES HIS MOTOR ON MUFFS.

SCOTT?
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
      Zenoahphobic:
      CANT POU JUST RAISE YOUR MOTOR, PUT MUFFS ON WITH THE WATER HOSE ON, LOWER THE MOTOR, START AND FLUSH YOUR ENGINE, TURN YOUR ENGINE OFF, RAISE YOUR MOTOR, TAKE OFF THE MUFFS AND TURN OFF YOUR WATER?

SCOTT HAS HIS BOAT ON A LIFT AND FLUSHES HIS MOTOR ON MUFFS.

SCOTT?
      Yes thought of that but better flush to have fresh water up past the engine water pump. I'll probably do that when I'm too lazy, and then when the engine is raised again washout the retained saltwater in the prop hub/gear case.
      Looking for innovative solution that someone may have developed (not seen anything like that here). May make/ place a container attached to floating dock (don't know where I'll go on that) as part of that equipment.

Comment

Aren't all saltwater series have attachment for that.

Comment

Working...
        X