Problem with shift linkage? Yamaha 25 hp outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with shift linkage? Yamaha 25 hp outboard

I have a 2001 25 hp yamaha model 25MSHZ.

Last winter I burned up the pump housing, so I tore into the lower unit to replace the pump. The telltale has great discharge (before I changed the pump, it did not). Now however, I have a new problem and I am having trouble fixing it. So I figured I would ask the experts.

My problem is this: The motor is staying in gear, no matter what position I have the shifter in. Also, when I shift into reverse, the motor jumps in and out of gear and clangs and clacks. It also seems that forward is a much smaller window than neutral and reverse when shifting. To add, when in forward, i can only go about half throttle until the throttle handle hits a wall... I looked at the control and found that the shifting arm (if thats what its called) is not being lifted up enough to clear the throttle arm, and is thus acting as a dead stop at half throttle. I assume that the shift linkage is out of wack and not adjusted correctly? Is there a correct procedure to do that, or is that even the issue? Help!

fist off, there is NO shift linkage adjustment.
    you either assemble it correctly or you did not.
    if not disassemble it and reassemble it.
    correctly .
    when reassembling the shift disconnect do it with the lower and the shifter in reverse.

Comment

I had already taken apart the linkage and made sure that I had both the shifter and the lower unit and reverse... I got the same result. Soooo that being said, what would you say are the correct steps in order to ensure that the linkage is connected correctly?

Comment

Disconnect the barrel nut connecting the drive shaft to shift shaft. Run through gears at control. If smooth then do the same using pliers holding the lower unit drive shaft. Your problem will either be above barrel nut or below. If neither then you likely connected the two shafts wrong.

The issue with throttle is completely separate from gear linkage, assuming gear shafts are connected correctly.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
        X