F225TXRD tilt/trim relay & motor amp draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225TXRD tilt/trim relay & motor amp draw

First, I have to say that "69J-81950-11-00 RELAY ASSY" is bizarre. There are many parts of the motor that are impressively, elegantly, designed. But that tilt/trim relay looks like it was put together by two hillbillies with the aid of a considerable amount of beer.

Moving on - here's the measured amperages:

relay "up" 2.6 amps
    relay "down" 2.4 amps

seems odd, but they are two completely separate coils

tilt/trim pump motor "from full down to full up"
    during "trim" 16 amps
    during "tilt" 29 amps

tilt/trim, pump motor "from full up to full down"
    during "tilt" 20 amps, dropping to 10
    during "trim 42 amps, dropping to 30

Obviously some very complex hydraulic stuff going on...

Here's some videos - you can hear the pump running while while the meter displays

relay (up, down, up, down)
    https://vid.me/wx3R

trim/tilt up
    https://vid.me/OuKl

tilt/trim down
    https://vid.me/xwmw

From your written data, all seems normal to me as loads vary along the "journey". Your digital meter appears to have a long refresh time - always a difficulty in interpreting a smooth flow of change with digital meters.

Comment

looks about right to me.
      as far as hillbillies and beer ? how would you design a polarity reversing relay that uses less than 5 amps to control a 50 amp draw?
      remember the motor polarity must be reversed for up and down.

Comment

I wasn't presuming to criticize the functional design, just commenting on the appearance.

Rodbolt is used to looking at it.

From the schematic I knew what was there functionally.

But pulling the cover off and actually seeing it was a real WTF?

For one thing, I wasn't expecting the coil leads to be external.

Nor was I expecting the unused duplicate switched terminals.

Interesting to see the little screws - I'm imagining it might actually be "serviceable" - i.e. open it up and clean the contacts

free upload

upload png

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          looks about right to me.
          as far as hillbillies and beer ? how would you design a polarity reversing relay that uses less than 5 amps to control a 50 amp draw?
          remember the motor polarity must be reversed for up and down.

Solid state.

Comment

This worked just fine on my '74 Evinrude 140, 30+ years ago.

They still make/sell this at about $75 a pop. If you need and can't afford the $280 Yamaha genuine part and have the room to mount it securely, why not use this?

12 Volt DC Reversing Solenoid continuous duty relays 12 volt & 24 volt DC power relays
            Last edited by cpostis; 07-07-2016, 09:22 AM.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

For the Mercury branded Yamaha motors sold by Mercury, if and when a trim and tilt relay assembly craps out, instead of installing an over priced Yamaha trim and tilt relay assembly Mercury offers a modification so that ten buck a pop Bosch style relay assemblies can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                They still make/sell this at about $75 a pop. If you need and can't afford the $280 Yamaha genuine part and have the room to mount it securely, why not use this?

12 Volt DC Reversing Solenoid continuous duty relays 12 volt & 24 volt DC power relays
                how to take a screenshot on a pc

4 switched terminals, 2 coil "+" connectors (and integral grounds)
                That's all.
                Now that's an elegant design.

Compared to the 8 terminal, 4 wire coil lead, multiple-external-jumper Yamaha part....
                Last edited by fairdeal; 07-07-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Update, Amazon has the relay for $20.49. ***!!!https://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Con...or%2C+Windlass
                  Chuck,

Comment

Another update...
                    Want to go wireless? Here's the way to go:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remo...Jeep+ATV+Winch
                    Chuck,

Comment

I am waiting for Yam to offer a wireless control box. And wireless gauges.

For theft prevention the operator will simply remove his control box from the boat and take it with him when he leaves.

The mount for the control box will provide electrical power to the control box when it is installed. The ECU in the control box will only talk to its own motor(s).

We can fly drones over Afghanistan from the USA. Surely we can control a motor from 15, 20, 30 feet away.

Now shame on the owner if he travels miles to get to his boat and forgets to take the control box with him. Bet it only happens one time!

Comment

I would never admit it if I did

kind of like leaving my rod and reels in the truck bed when i launched the boat and ran out to the flats, then reaching for a rod to throw at some tailing reds.
                        Running back to the ramp and hoping no one noticed them back there.

I would never do that
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I never left my boat key at house

Comment

I never left my boat key in Georgia when I drove to Florida to use my boat that was kept down there.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Roughly where might you live in GA? Or is it top secret?

Comment

Working...
                              X