Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 f150 newbie report question.

Hello with my first post.

I'm going to pay for a motor/s report on 2008 150 yamaha's. LF150 TXR.

What should I be looking at or expect for $120 each?

Any known problems?

Will such an inspection reveal the corrosion issue?

Thank you.

you need to be asking this of the people that you will be having do the inspection what all it covers

Comment

If the engine has been flushed (salt water use), there really isn't a corrosion issue like the larger engines. If it was never flushed, looking inside the thermostat opening can give you an idea of internal corrosion. If its rarely/never been flushed, I'd walk away...

A leak down test of the engine would give you a good idea of the health of the engine.

The computer print out of how the engine was run, ie, 5 hours at 6,000 RPMs and other RPM's will let you know pretty much how its been run.

Two issues.

The engine balancer unit has been updated with a better unit. The old one had issues and should it break, can destroy the engine. I believe your year engine is in that group. I had mine replaced under warranty.

The idle and slow speed operation in gear, from the factory, has a habit of being adjusted too low from the factory (ie: stalling coming in to dock).

There's apparently an updated factory adjustment procedure that's not in the shop manual. It should idle at 700 = / - 50 RPM's,
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          you need to be asking this of the people that you will be having do the inspection what all it covers
          And don't just rely on a leakdown test without also including a compression test. (see recent threads)

Comment

Please post back how it goes, etc...

BTW, if the balancer has NOT been replaced, either use that as a bargaining point, or try and have ot replaced in the deal. Its not cheap but maybe 1/2 hour labor to replace.

Part #26

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-18-2016, 07:42 AM.
            Scott

Comment

OR You could remove the balance shafts completely.

Oh boy,,,,here we go!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                OR You could remove the balance shafts completely.
                They say it doesn't vibrate much without them .

Removing them would leave several oiling orifices "open" to where the two shafts "were".... Oil pressure issues now??

Let the "chatting" / de-rail begin!
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-18-2016, 06:11 PM. Reason: added info
                Scott

Comment

Consider me the guinea pig or worse. I have been without for 2 years. Only an option. I believe Rodbolt said he was on 3rd set? So about 1200 bucks? He prob gets a better deal than us...just saying. F150B does not have them and I believe they are limited to 5750rpm. That's perfect for me. Maybe I get an extra 2-3 hp without?

Comment

Consider me the guinea pig or worse. I have been without for 2 years. Only an option. I believe Rodbolt said he was on 3rd set? So about 1200 bucks? He prob gets a better deal than us...just saying. F150B does not have them and I believe they are limited to 5750rpm. That's perfect for me. Maybe I get an extra 2-3 hp without?
                    So yours came W/O the balancer from the factory?

If so, I would think they'd have to close off and oil holes to the shafts..

Sure nuff, oil to the balancer:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

No. I removed them. But Yamaha has also made F150s without balancers. F150B. Maybe Boscoe can elaborate. The oil flows as it did before, ends up back in pan.
                      Nothing to lube obviously.

Comment

No. I removed them. But Yamaha has also made F150s without balancers. F150B. Maybe Boscoe can elaborate. The oil flows as it did before, ends up back in pan.
                        Nothing to lube obviously.
                        Hummm.

I'm surprised there's no oil pressure issues. Those shafts would have clearances to keep oil pressure at a certain point. With the balancers gone, its a wide open orifice...

How much more vibration to you get with them out and thru out the rev range?
                        Scott

Comment

There is a little more vibration at idle. Bump it to 700 or 800 don't notice it at all. Don't notice anything at higher rpm. I don't go higher than about 5700. Have to really trim it to get there anyhow. Kennesaw people say there are a bunch of commercial guys, especially in Louisisana, that have pulled theirs as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X