50tlr on pontoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50tlr on pontoon

Idle and top rpm engine runs fine. After low rpms running or engine off it cranks ok. Boggs down and quits when adding throttle. After several crankings and petting of the throttle it accelerates and runs fine. Any suggestions?

My first thought is a dirty carb.

Obviously, you have idle and top end but the carb does have to transition between the two.

I would drain the float bowls and catch what comes out and examine/smell, check for water. Is there old fuel in the tank (more than a couple of months)? The bogging down points towards lack of fuel. Can I assume you checked cleaned all fuel filters (under the hood, transom mount)?

You may get by with running a strong dose of Yamaha's Ringfree which is a fuel system cleaner and top end cleaner. I'd run it at least 2x's the recommended amount. I strongly suspect being it idles and has top end, the RF will, help clean out the carb(s)

Year engine BTW??

My 2cts..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

50tlr on pontoon boat

engine is a 2008. I put fresh 89oct fuel in the tank,new fuel/water sep.filter & cleaned eng.filter. replaced fuel hose/bulb.could this be an enrichment problem?

Comment

The enrichment works only when the engine is cold, it basically is your automatic "choke"

Here's the breakdown of your carbs:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-15-2016, 09:08 PM.
        Scott

Comment

check to see if the timing is advancing as it should when this bogging occurs and if it is different than when it works OK.

How long do you let it warm up before having the problem?

Comment

50tlr on pontoon boar

I drained the fuel from the carb. bowles,ran boat for 1hr. (slow,fast,idle,etc). I could not get it to repeat the problem. i am going to run the ringfree thru it. I would like to thank all of you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by lwturner View Post
              I drained the fuel from the carb. bowles,ran boat for 1hr. (slow,fast,idle,etc). I could not get it to repeat the problem. i am going to run the ringfree thru it. I would like to thank all of you for your help.
              Your welcome. Glad it was an easy fix.

After the strong dose, run the RF (regular dose) regularly as well as a fuel stabilizer. Ethonol fuel is really crappy. Yes the RF is not cheap (but 1 oz / 10 gallons goes pretty far) but certainly cheaper than just labor and parts rebuilding the carb in the future...
              Scott

Comment

I hope your issues are solved.

Once your carbs are crapped up, all the king's elixirs won't clear the way. And, if you don't tend to all upstream of the carbs to the cap on the tank, you can spend all day with expensive parts and upon turn of the key, do the same the next day.

Those small jets only have vacuum to move fuel and are easy to partly clog. In contrast, fuel injection has a 60 psi plus pump.

After my repair, repeat down time and expensive technicians, I now empty all fuel between trips. No fuel for me means none to go bad.

Most materials are rated for 10% ethanol fuel blends, but when ethanol absorbs water and falls to the bottom of the tank, those parts can be subjected to much greater concentrations.

I most recently replaced all stationary lengths of fuel hose with copper tubing. Now the remaining lengths can be swapped out in ten minutes for ten bucks.

Comment

Uhh,, Copper ??

U R kidding, Right ??

Comment

Originally posted by throrope View Post

Once your carbs are crapped up, all the king's elixirs won't clear the way. And, if you don't tend to all upstream of the carbs to the cap on the tank, you can spend all day with expensive parts and upon turn of the key, do the same the next day.

Agreed, the elixers won't open up a clogged carb for the reason your posted, BUT, he said its running well, IE, the RF can get into those small jets, and help keep them clean (or clean them further)

Sounds like a PIA to drain your tanks all the time... Why not just use a good stabilizer and non ethonol fuel?
                    Scott

Comment

a good stabilizer and non ethanol fuel will not solve a problem with a vent or cap taking in water.

i believe this is what Rope was taking about
                      or maybe he misspelled a word and came up with cap

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time the filler cap leaked water!!
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Agreed, the elixers won't open up a clogged carb for the reason your posted, BUT, he said its running well, IE, the RF can get into those small jets, and help keep them clean (or clean them further)

Sounds like a PIA to drain your tanks all the time... Why not just use a good stabilizer and non ethonol fuel?
                          Piece of cake - I rigged a $26 Rockauto electric solenoid fuel pump to a 12 volt plug and fuel hose. Off the boat and into the truck before the gear is cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by throrope View Post
                            Piece of cake - I rigged a $26 Rockauto electric solenoid fuel pump to a 12 volt plug and fuel hose. Off the boat and into the truck before the gear is cleared.
                            That'd work!
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                              U R kidding, Right ??
                              What's wrong with copper?

Comment

Working...
                              X