Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Indicator issue on new Yamaha 4-stroke 90hp

Hello,

This is my first post to the thread..I'm hoping someone might have a little advice. I just installed a new 90hp yam(2014) on one of our boats. Everything is new except for the Tach, Bus bar and Bus wiring harness. They are from the previous 90hp yam which was a 2011 model. Well everything is running great except the trim indicator is reading full up on the Tach as if the indicator is pooched or disconnected...but it obviuosy isnt and the indicator is new. I double checked the connections, and moved the little finger on the indicator by hand to see if the tab was out of place but it doesn't go down on the tach. Seems like the spring is working on it..Any tips on how to test this would be appreciated..All i can think is it must be the Tach itself but i'm not positive.
    Thanks

The trim wire color is pink. Disconnect the pink wire and the tachometer will indicate full up. Then ground the pink wire. The tachometer should indicate full down. This is a test for the tachometer itself.

If the tachometer works then it is either a wire connection issue or the sender itself.

Comment

disconnect NOTHING at this point.
      what gauge package is installed?
      command link or the older digital ?
      reply and Ill tell you what's wrong.

Comment

Well if he is using a Command Link tachometer and has not connected the two pink wires in the engine pan that would be a wiring issue.

Comment

It's the older digital tach.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SWhite2015 View Post
            It's the older digital tach.
            Thanks
            But is it the conventional multi-function digital tachometer or is it a Command Link digital tachometer? Your use of the words bus bar and bus wiring seem to indicate the latter.

Does the tachometer have an integral connector on the back of it or does it have wires coming from the back of it? A bunch of wires that is.

Comment

The Tach just has the one harness plug that goes into it...no other wires.

Comment

OK. That is a Command Link tachometer.

There are two single pink wires in the front of the engine pan. They will usually be taped together with yellow tape. Remove the yellow tape. Each wire has a connector with a cap on the connector. Remove the cap from each connector and then connect one pink wire to the other pink wire. This will provide engine trim information to the engine's computer so that trim information will be sent down the digital data bus to the tachometer.

Comment

Thanks boscoe99. That did the trick...and sorry about the late reply..

Comment

Better late than never.

Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

Working...
                    X