Tach for an F70 Tiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach for an F70 Tiller

New boat with a new 2015 Yam F70 tiller. I would like a tach to moniter rpm, temps, hours and all parameters that can be seen on a single tach. I ordered
    6Y8-WE83S-70-00 CMDLK 1 GAUGE SQ KT and since it was not obvious how it should be connected I ended up calling Yamaha and actually spoke to someone. He informed me that the Square Tach gauge was not intended to be used on the F70 (or maybe the tiller model). He suggested I order the Round tach, Kit# 6Y8-0E83R-81-00. I would perfer the Square Gauge over the Round as it appears larger in pictures and easier for my ancient eyes to see. I also have the Square Kit in my hands.
    Is this information correct that it is the Round Command Link Tach I will need for my installation? Is there a current Install manual that can guide my through the needed connections on either one of the Tachs?
    Thanks

The man that you talked to does not know his ass from a hot rock. A harsh way for saying he is merely misinformed. Did you get his name? Call him back and refer him to the 2008 Yamaha Rigging Guide. Page 11-5. He will be educated for the next call.

Here is the page in question that clearly depicts the use of a square Command Link tachometer (and speedometer) with a tiller handle model. You could also add a square fuel flow meter if you were so inclined.

Comment

We discussed several items or problems with the installation. One of them was the tiller model, I am not sure he said impossible or it was complicated.

I found COMMAND LINK MULTIFUNCTION METER INSTALLATION MANUAL, 1st Edition, March 2005. On page 12 it shows connecting to the F50, F60, T60 series. I am guessing my F70 wiring will be the same or is it different since it was not made in '05? I cannot locate a current Install Manual.
      On page 20-21 and 24-25 it shows a wiring diagram and *1 shows bypassing Hub 1. Can Hub 1 and Hub 2 both be bypassed and connections direct from engine to gauge, possibly using 6Y8-81920-11-00 (single hub Assy)?
      Is it possible to use the Square Tach?
      What am I missing? Thanks for your patience!

Comment

Originally posted by john300exc View Post
        We discussed several items or problems with the installation. One of them was the tiller model, I am not sure he said impossible or it was complicated. It is not impossible. It only appears complicated to the unknowing. Quantum physics is complicated to me but some will find it to be a piece of cake.

I found COMMAND LINK MULTIFUNCTION METER INSTALLATION MANUAL, 1st Edition, March 2005. On page 12 it shows connecting to the F50, F60, T60 series. I am guessing my F70 wiring will be the same or is it different since it was not made in '05? I cannot locate a current Install Manual.
        On page 20-21 and 24-25 it shows a wiring diagram and *1 shows bypassing Hub 1. Can Hub 1 and Hub 2 both be bypassed and connections direct from engine to gauge, possibly using 6Y8-81920-11-00 (single hub Assy)?
        Is it possible to use the Square Tach?
        What am I missing? Thanks for your patience!
        The kit that you have was intended to be used with a remote con*****ed model motor. So, it has a longer pig tail bus than is needed and it uses two hubs instead of just one. But, you can use the kit that you have with a tiller handle model F70 with square gauges. You just move stuff around a bit. You also will need to buy another pig tail lead to run from the hub to the tachometer.

Biggest problem you might have is stuffing a nine foot long pig tail harness into your tiller handle. A shorter length would be preferable but you are where you are. Maybe see if a Yam dealer will swap your nine foot pig tail harness for a shorter one.

Last edited by boscoe99; 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X