05? 60hp gauges on an 'as is' boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05? 60hp gauges on an 'as is' boat

I bought an as-is 2012 Bennington. With a non-original Yamaha 60 hp.

The console was changed out due to tree falling on it.

The plate shows T60TLRD 6C6 L 1000904 N and the date label is 09/04.

Is it an 05 built in 04 as a dealer suggested? Or just an 04 where the 05 manuals won't be of any use?

Gauges - I want plenty of gauges. There's only the basic, Tach, Speed, fuel, and volts. No idiot lights. I want way more info that that. Under the console, there is a cable coming from the Yamaha that has a dozen or so connectors waiting to be connected, are those command link? Are these for plug-in type gauges?
    Service manual is ordered.

Also there is no key! The only marking on the ign switch is "POM". Is that a key type?

referring to other posts - Yes, I am cheap. I've also been taken by pro's and have had to correct their work. I do all work to any of my machines myself. From my personal Terex TB 60 to my cub cadet mower, and now my Benni & Yammi.
    Last edited by tonyski54; 08-10-2015, 12:33 PM.
    2012 Bennington 2275 (salvaged)
    2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Originally posted by tonyski54 View Post
    I bought an as-is 2012 Bennington. With a non-original Yamaha 60 hp.

The console was changed out due to tree falling on it.

The plate shows T60TLRD 6C6 L 1000904 N and the date label is 09/04.

Is it an 05 built in 04 as a dealer suggested? Or just an 04 where the 05 manuals won't be of any use? It is a 2005 model year Yamaha. That is what the last letter (D) in the model denotes. Yamaha stopped using model years in 2005 so all subsequent models will not use the fourth letter in the model designation.

Gauges - I want plenty of gauges. There's only the basic, Tach, Speed, fuel, and volts. No idiot lights. I want way more info that that. Under the console, there is a cable coming from the Yamaha that has a dozen or so connectors waiting to be connected, are those command link? Are these for plug-in type gauges? What kind of gauges? Analog needle and dial, analog with digital display or digital (round/square/rectangular) with digital display?

Service manual is ordered.

Also there is no key! The only marking on the ign switch is "POM". Is that a key type? If it is a Yamaha key switch there will be three numbers on the side of the actual switch itself. You might have to remove the switch bezel to see those numbers. You then go to a dealer and buy some keys with that number on it.

referring to other posts - Yes, I am cheap. I've also been taken by pro's and have had to correct their work. I do all work to any of my machines myself. From my personal Terex TB 60 to my cub cadet mower, and now my Benni & Yammi. I almost didn't post after reading those but I already typed most of this so, we'll see if it draws the haters out.
    See comments above.

Comment

Just had to express my admiration
      for a man with a "personal"
      60 foot self-propelled boom lift

who's also "cheap"

Oh, and Boscoe, do you read PMs?

i need to send you a pm

Comment

Yes, I read PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          What kind of gauges? Analog needle and dial, analog with digital display or digital (round/square/rectangular) with digital display?
          Here's some pics of the wiring. wag is it's for analogs. I'd like CL but round analog oil press & temp and trim would be a start. I see that the speedo works off of a pressure line. Don't need it now but have to figure out how that works.

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/wk6/library/Boat
          2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

I see that CL came a few years after my '05.
            2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Based on the age of your motor I don't think that it is CL capable. Your choice will be Yamaha needle and dial type or multi-function type.

All that is available can be seen in here 2015_Yamaha_MRP

Here are wiring diagrams that show the two basic options available to you from Yamaha.

Comment

I see that the speedo works off of a pressure line. Don't need it now but have to figure out how that works.
                The speedometer simply has a hose that runs from the speedometer itself down to the engine.

There's usually a VERY SMALL hole at the leading edge of the lower unit. (Your smallest drill bit MIGHT fit in it)...

Yamaha usually has a hose connected below and runs up to the powerhead. It usually exits out maybe a foot.

A simple male to male "hose connector " between the two lines completes it..
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks all for the info. I mainly just wanted an add-on plug-in oil gauge. But I see that buying the speedo & tach multi functions are the way to go. It looks like the wiring harness, air tube and oil/trim line are already in. I'll post before and after pics once finished. I'll just put the unused basic tach & speedo on ebay.

I got the keys made (two faint markings on cylinder, 153 & 733 - 733 was the magic number), put the water cuff on the engine and it started right up! That's a relief. Had to watch a couple of utubes to find the throttle-only button on my single handle. I might be brave enough to put it in the water later today.
                  Last edited by tonyski54; 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM.
                  2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

So, these two would be OK?

Tachometer 6Y5-8350T-82-00
                    Speedometer 6Y5-83570-S5-00

It's those last two # pairs that keep changing, some it seems like just black/white others maybe releases.
                    2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      The speedometer simply has a hose that runs from the speedometer itself down to the engine.

There's usually a VERY SMALL hole at the leading edge of the lower unit. (Your smallest drill bit MIGHT fit in it)...

Yamaha usually has a hose connected below and runs up to the powerhead. It usually exits out maybe a foot.

A simple male to male "hose connector " between the two lines completes it..
                      Looking for the hose. No hose inside that I can find. There is what's left of a hose coming out from above the VERY SMALL hole - is that it?

2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Looking for the hose. No hose inside that I can find. There is what's left of a hose coming out from above the VERY SMALL hole - is that it?

Yep, that's it but it appears someone cut it off. Being you have the LU off, you should be able to look up there (from the bottom) and see a plastic connector that the hose would slip onto. With the LU off, now is the time to replace it...

On the LU itself, should be a small part that slips into what your looking at below. There's sometimes an o-ring there...

While the LU is off, blow some air or water thru that orifice to make sure its clear. It's a VERY SMALL hole on the leading edge.

If used in salt water, and it isn't flushed, they OFTEN clog up with corrosion. The smallest drill bit you own, may fit (if its clogged). Just use it by hand, no drill motor or it'll most likely break off inside...
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-11-2015, 04:22 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

The LU isn't off. But I just removed the Lower Mount Cover, trimmed off the tube end and fitted a hose splice, now I just need 20' of hose. When I do take the LU off, I'll put a new hose in.

2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

That'll work.

Just curious, can you blow air thru the connector, IE, is it clear thru to the LU?
                            Scott

Comment

Yes it's clear now. There was about 2 inches of blockage.
                              2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Working...
                              X