2001 yamaha 60hp rough running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 yamaha 60hp rough running

Hey guys,having a rough running issue with my 2 stroke 60hp 2001 i hope you can help me with.
    When the engine eventually starts it runs very poor and a strong smell of fuel.
    So..............
    All 3 carbs removed & cleaned found 2 of the 3 carbs with green making the float needles sticking.
    All 3 plugs changed
    Fresh fuel !
    Compression check 150psi across all 3 cylinders.
    When i start the engine and pull off no 3 cyl i get no change in engine tone but when 1 or 2 removed the engine cuts out.
    Swopped out cyl 1 coil for cyl 3 & checked all wiring to cdi for corrosion and all ok.
    But rough running still seems to be no 3 !
    Any help appreciated as i have removed the carbs at least 30 times now to make sure i haven't missed anything.

Any suggestions much appreciated guys.
    I bit the bullet & called out a supposed spe******t and after 5hrs labour he made an educated guess on it being either wiring,cdi or crank sensor but not sure and suggested i just start with the cheapest and work up LOL.
    I am a vehicle tech so good with a multimeter/amp clamp etc but have no specs to compare to. Help pls summers nearly over !!!!!!! lol
    60feto
    6H2 L 475772

Comment

Is the number three coil getting voltage from the CDI?

Something comes to mind about two of the three coils getting their voltage based on the pulser coil with the remaining one getting its voltage based on the crank position sensor. I can't remember which is which.

Oh Rodbolt, where are thee?

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some specifications for the coils, cps, etc.

Comment

Yep all 3 are getting a cracking blue spark(not orange).

Comment

Check the fuel pump, sounds like it is leaking fuel into the crankcase on #3

Comment

If compression is good, and you are getting a good spark to cylinder number three, then I would surmise a fuel issue.

Try misting a bit of gasoline into the throat of the number three carburetor and see if the motor picks up and runs well for a brief period of time.

Comment

Fuel pump removed and cleaned out all diaphram's ok.
              That was the first thing i tried Boscoe,i have sent you a 60sec clip so you can hear it as it cuts out,it kinda of coughs then misfires then cuts but will start straight away.

Comment

Possibly the cough is a lean sneeze.

Not sure if that 2 stroke motor should be reading 150 compression on all cylinders, seems kind of high. may be the gauge though

Comment

now I gotta ask a stupid question.
                  whats the freaking model ?
                  in that time frame,give or take, they made a P 60,C60 and 60. all used different ign systems.
                  full model code may assist.

Comment

It is a 6H2 prefix model. Equivalent to our 60TLRZ.
                    Last edited by boscoe99; 08-10-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

that ign system uses a pulser coil to fire 1&3 #2 is made up by the CDI and the CPS.

Comment

Working...
                      X