Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dead" cylinder 2006 Yamaha F150 4 stroke

Howdy all,

I've been using your advice via google search to track down issues on my 06 yami 150. The boat sat for a year while my buddy went thru an illness and I recently joined forces with him so now I get to chase down gremlins.

Just to give a little back, I'll include what I've found and fixed so the next poor soul might save a nickel.

Sputtering on acceleration/random non start/ fluctuation in voltage

all these issues were finally traced back to loose wires and/or barely corroded contacts. I traced and cleaned every contact including some hidden grounds under the deck of my 1851 Striper ... problems solved (for now anyway)

Sputtering acceleration/ won't plane/ surging at idle
    Problem appeared subtly as a sputter and within a few hours of operation, boat wouldn't reach plane anymore...then couldn't go over 5mph.

Cleaned the dreaded vst but it wasn't very dirty
    changed all the filters
    ran seafoam thru motor from external tank
    replaced check valve on the main fuel tank (I broke it so I had to. )
    low pressure pumps ok
    culprit turned out to be dirty injectors

Prior to the electric pump dying per my previous post, it ran great for half an hour and I thought the issue was resolved. So after replacing the pump, I took it out and it ran better at idle but wouldn't get past 2700 rpm. I pulled each injector plug and noticed #1 caused no change. I pulled it out and put carb cleaner in it and put it back in. Picked up 300 RPM. I decided to replace all the filter baskets after that because I'd already gone thru each injector several times at home with the whole syringe/12v cleaning process.

Now with new VST pump and clean filter baskets on injectors I still see no idle change when I pull that #1 (bottom..I think it's #4 actually) injector plug. I get a little bit of backfiring when I start it then it stops and idles smoothly at 800.

Good compression on all cylinders (150).
    I swapped plugs.
    Swapped plug wires. No changes.

Spark plug was damp when I pulled it but it does spark so I'm thinking it might be coil related? Any way to test it?
Working...
X