trim and tilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim and tilt problem

hi all, I have a rib boat with a yamaha 70tlru trim and tilt, the problem is when operating the trim the motor stops and then after waiting a few seconds it works again I have checked battey and bypassed trim switch but still no luck, the relay stays in as long as you hold down the switch which makes me think its a motor fault. anyone have knowledge of these motors? I think I saw something posted somewhere about a thermal switch inside the trim motor but not sure about that.

Disconnect the plug from the main harness to the tilt motor.

Then connect the trim motor DIRECT to a 12 volt battery. Reversing the leads, reverses the direction.

If this doesn't work, you have issues with the lift motor itself .

You should be able to lift that motor up and down numerous times W/O failure easily.

I suspect the inside electrical part of the trim motor is crapped up, needs cleaning, brushes, etc..

**If you post a year and exact MODEL #, a parts fisch can be brought up and see what the internals look like from the comfort of your puter...

Please post back what you find..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

ok I will check that out. the model is 70TLRU 6h3 l 487651, the year is 1996 as far as I can tell from the web.

Comment

Originally posted by wellman1 View Post
        ok I will check that out. the model is 70TLRU 6h3 l 487651, the year is 1996 as far as I can tell from the web.
        Here's the trim motor parts fisch for your engine, if that helps;

1996 70TLRU Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSEMBLY 1 Diagram and Parts
        Scott

Comment

I did what you said and used a bit of heavy wire to connect from the live wire on the relay to blue and green motor wires on the relay in turn which must be wrong because it seemed to be shorting out, I was assuming the two wires coming from the motor were up or down and the motor body was the ground. was this wrong?

Comment

I was looking at the parts diagram and brush 2, number 6 on the list, looks like it has a breaker circuit. could this be used to break the circuit when the motor is under pressure, its very expensive for such a small part. I think I will have a go at taking the motor apart and have a closer look at the brushes etc.

Comment

did you take the wires to the motor off of the relay before putting voltage to them?

Comment

no, is that why it did,nt work

Comment

Yep, you messed up...

FORGET THE RELAY, don't put it in the loop for this test..

Simply apply a hot and ground (12 volt, pos and neg) to the TWO WIRES coming off the trim motor(trim motor is DIS-CONNECTED from the harness).

Wires in one direction should raise the engine, reverse the wires, it goes the other way. We're right now just TESTING THE trim motor, NOTHING ELSE..

Please don't get ahead yet either.. See what happens when you do this test.
                  Scott

Comment

hi, I did the test today, took both motor wires off the relay and connected jump leads to fully charged battery and tried raising and lowering the outboard and still have the stalling prob. I now think its the circuit breaker in the motor, it seems to me that its become too sensitive as its probably meant to cut out when the trim mechanism jams. looks like the motor may need repair or replacement. any suggestions?

Comment

try tapping the motor with a screw driver when it stops working, if starts working pull the trim motor apart and give the internals a good clean and maybe replace the brushes. Or just replace the whole thing.

Comment

+1 on the above^^^

There's something bad inside the electric trim motor.

You'll probably end up pulling the housing off and inspecting.

Usually when its that bad, it'll be quite obvious what the issue is, IE; worn brushes, water intrusion, etc. You get by with a good cleaning, maybe brushes, etc. You won't know till your in there..

Re the circuit breaker, I'm NOT familiar with that particular unit however I seriously doubt that will be your issue.

I can trim/tilt my engine numerous times without issue. With that breaker being internal, its going to be an automatic reset once things cool down(but yours isn't getting hot as it doesn't run long enough to get hot and trip)

You can buy separate parts for the unit, I'd likely go that route once you know is going on inside. You already know what you have. Buying used, who knows???.

Again, it should be very obvious once the covers off what's going on inside.

If your not comfy with it, pull the T&T unit(with electric motor) and bring it to a Yamaha shop.

Make sure you use BRAND NEW seals where applicable..

Please post back what you find..
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM.
                        Scott

Comment

I will try and remove the motor see whats going on. thanks for your help.

Comment

You should be able to pull the motor housing (part #4) without yanking the entire T&T unit..
                            Scott

Comment

you were right I got the casing off the motor and it has a bimetal strip in line with one brush this will be the circuit breaker, also one of the brushes is broken lengthways, but this may have happened because I had to lightly tap the casing with a hammer to free the brush end housing. would it be expensive to replace both brushes and the circuit breaker which looks part of one brush.

Comment

Working...
                              X