Oil pressure range for 2003 F225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure range for 2003 F225

I want to install an analog oil pressure gauge for my 2003 F225. I have never been one for idiot lights in cars or boats. I have found gauges from Sierra that read to 80 PSI and now demo Amega that reads to 100 PSI. The Sierra will match my other gauges, but I can seem to find info that would tell me if a max of 80 PSI is sufficient or if I need a gauge to 100 or more PSI.

Thanks

Sorry thick fingers in my typing. My question should have read a follows:

I want to install an analog oil pressure gauge for my 2003 F225. I have never been one for idiot lights in cars or boats.

I have found gauges from Sierra that read up to 80 PSI and one from Amega that reads up to 100 PSI. I prefer the Sierra as it will match my other gauges, but I cannot seem to find info that would tell me what the max "normal" oil pressure is on a F225. Can anyone tell me if a gauge with a max pressure of 80 PSI is sufficient or if I need a gauge with a max pressure of 100 or more PSI.

Thanks

Comment

My F150 spec's at 65 PSI at idle..

It should be in your shop manual (as was mine).

I would think 80 would be fine..

Post #7 should help;

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...e-warning.html

" I ran the engine today on a live gauge. At startup the oil pressure was around 80 psi. As the engine began to warm up it dropped to around 75-77. Ran the engine for around 30 minutes at idle and never dropped below 75. As I throttled up the 1800 rpm mark to oil pressure rose to around 88-90 psi. I didnt want to run it over that because I could not find any fittings in town to tee the pressure sender into the gauge and didnt want to do any damage"
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-10-2015, 11:51 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

65 psi at idle?

I would say that is remarkable.

As for the F225, FWIW the allowable spec for the oil pressure relief valve to open is between 75-92

So, if I was choosing, I'd go with the 100 range gauge rather than the 80

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          65 psi at idle?
          That's what's in the F150 Genuine Yamaha SHOP manual for this engine. (I never tested it)
          Scott

Comment

You might want to consider a 150 psi gauge.

Comment

always interesting, Boscoe

how about this - from my 2003 "Mercaha" SM

where's your's from?

I'm baffled (easily done)
              Attached Files

Comment

My source is the Yamaha Service Manual. It says the same thing as your Mercury manual does, in one place.

But when it comes to checking the oil pressure it says something different in another place.

What does your say about checking the oil pressure?

Comment

Fascinating.

Well, Merc has a "similar" section, but not identical.

For one, rather than removing the oil pressure sensor, Merc said to attach a gauge after removing "the brass plug behind the dipstick"

(I've never even noticed that there is one)

Second, Merc doesn't state a value, just says "Measure the oil pressure at idle. If out of specification...."

Its late, and I've been drinking.

I want to say, NFW does that engine make 90 psi oil pressure at idle.....

but what do I know?

Comment

For reference, here is what is stated for a number of other Yam models.

Comment

You must have every Yamaha manual (or access to them) Boscoe!!

Wanna share your site/ password?? Certainly beats just looking at a parts fisch!!
                      Scott

Comment

thanks for all that research, Boscoe.

Obviously Yamaha engineers all their 4-strokes similarly

I haven't had cause to pay attention to oil pressure values,
                        I was clearly very wrong in thinking they would be like the auto engines I grew up on.

Idle pressure of <20 and max of ~60 would have been the norm then.

90 psi at idle! The pressure relief valves on these engines really get a workout

Comment

This thread peaked my interest so after fishing this morning I checked my F150TLR via the NMEA connection through a Lowrance HDS 7 Touch. I idle at about 650, oil pressure averages 52 - 54 psi, when I move idle up to 750 the pressure averages in the 64-65 range - I, too was surprised at such numbers. Isn't it great when things work as designed?!

Comment

So much for the old rule of thumb about the need for 10 psi of oil pressure per 1000 engine RPM's.

But engines are designed and built today with much tighter clearances, from better quality and longer lasting materials, and with what I consider super thin motor oils being used for lubrication. They stuff I use in my truck pours like water. 5W20 it is.

Comment

Working...
                            X