Plug came out of the boat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug came out of the boat!

Obviously it wasn't secured properly. We were not 100 ft from the boat landing when boat began taking on water. I immediately figured out what was up but couldn't retrieve the plug so I headed towards the bank before it completely sank. I killed the motor, a 40 HP Yamaha, before water got over the gas tank. After I killed it, water got pretty high up on the cowl although I had trimmed it up pretty high to avoid any concrete blocks submerged around the landing. Removed cowl and air intake and there was a significant amount of water in the bottom carburetor but none that I could see in the two above it. Removed bottom spark plug and no water there. I've drained the gas tank and left motor trimmed in the transport position to continue draining water from lower carburetor. Any other advice besides not being so careless with the plug next time?

Next time when you see/feel water coming in the boat, don't panic. Get the boat on plane and no more water will come in. In fact, water in the boat will now go out the boat. Once you have gotten the water ingress situation under control think about what you might use to plug the drain hole. Shirt, cork, finger, it can be most anything.

Hopefully, someone is on board with you. Run to shore and drop them off to go and get the trailer. As soon as you let them out you start running around again to prevent water from coming in and to get the water that is in, out. As soon as you see the trailer is in the water head for the trailer. Drive up on it as quickly as you can and have them pull the boat out.

Remove the carburetor bowl drain screw. Pump fuel to the carbs using the primer ball. This will flush any water out. Reinstall the drain screw. Get the motor started and get it up to temperature. Run it at power for a good thirty minutes or so.

We all learn from our mistakes. Hopefully no one gets hurt and nothing gets damaged. The damaged stuff can be fixed. You will triple may quadruple check the drain plug every time you now put to sea.

Comment

I had a leaky aluminum boat once. every time I took off after letting it sit in water for a few hours I would get up on plane and pull the plug and let the water run out. Plug on the inside.
      Anyway once I had the plug hanging on one of my fingers so easy access to put it back in , running down the Inter coastal canal my hat flew off and I automatically grabbed for it. You can guess what happened, the plug headed out into the canal.
      Had to head back to the cabin to see if I could find something to plug it with, had a person in the boat shove his thumb into the hole till I found another plug.

I still carry a spare plug in tackle box where ever I go
      Last edited by 99yam40; 07-06-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X